• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

disclosing depression on the residency application

GuyIncognito

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2006
Springfield
    So among the mountain of paperwork I have to fill out for residency is this:

"Have you ever been affected by or sought counseling or treatment for drug use, chemical or alcohol dependency, or behavior problems?"

Then you're supposed to provide details if yes.

I took zoloft for depression for about 8 months in 2001 or 2002. I don't even remember the exact dates, it was so long ago. I didn't see a psychiatrist. I self-diagnosed myself and got them from university health and after a while I felt better and stopped taking them and I've felt fine ever since.

So how much detail do they want? Do I have to go back to university health and dig up the exact dates and stuff? What a pain.

I personally don't think it's any of their business if I took an SSRI five years ago, but if I lie and answer no, I'm sure it will come back to bite me in the ass later...

Milo

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Feb 1, 2005
      GuyIncognito said:
      "Have you ever been affected by or sought counseling or treatment for drug use, chemical or alcohol dependency, or behavior problems?"

Let's break that down.

Have you received counseling/treatment? Yes, but that is not what the question asks.

The question is specific. Have you ever been affected by or sought counseling or treatment FOR:

a) drug use
      b) chemical use
      c) alcohol dependence (notice they didn't put use or abuse for that one)
      d) or behavior problems.

From what you wrote you didn't have a, b or c of the above, if you didn't have behavioral problems (arrests, suspensions, expulsions, violence et cetera) then d would be a no as well.

IMHO you can honestly say no to the question if you just had depression and sought/received help voluntarily. It's none of their damn business.

Psyclops

1K Member
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Feb 22, 2006
      1. Other Health Professions Student
        I agree with Milo, for this question I wouldn't consider depression to be a behavior problem. You might have sought conseling for a mood disorder, but not a behavior problem. I don't know of any professional who would consider unipolar depression as a behavioral problem. I would feel confident in replying no to that question, and not feel underhanded or that I was splitting hairs or being in any way deceitful. I think you should answer no to that one. Good luck.

About the Ads
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.