Disclosing depression

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a little confused on what I need to do with this. I have never suffered from depression in my past, but in 3rd year I hit a really rough time. I started isolating myself and sinking into a depression. It got really bad and I struggled to make it to my rotations. I ended up missing a day of my rotation, I then emailed my rotation director and my dean of the Med School saying I needed to take time off. My dean called me and asked why and I told him it was family and "personal problems". They agreed I could take an incomplete and make up the rotation later. It is a 3 week rotation that I finished 1 week of. This is where it turns. That night I had my parents visit me because I was so depressed I was scared of what I would do. I ended up trying to commit suicide and my mom found me and called 911. I spent about 1.5 weeks on inpatient psych and was discharged. I only took an incomplete in that one rotation. I had a scheduled 3 week vacation after that and felt good enough to return. Since then I have not missed a day of my rotations (and had not previously). I curretly feel great and do not have any depression symptoms, but am on medication.

So my question. When I apply to residency I believe there is a question in regards to missing or a medical illness contributing to not being able to fulfil commitments or something like that. How do I approach this? So far the administration knows only that I had "family issues". There are a lot of students that know my situation as they are friends that supported me. Technically depression did lead me to taking an incomplete, but do I have to disclose

When you apply to residency programs, the only thing you need to disclose is that you took a leave. You do not need to say any more than that. "Personal" or "family" issues is fine, if you want to say that.

You do not need to say anything more than that, It is also illegal for anyone to ask you more details.

The only question that you can be asked is whether you can fulfill the essential functions of the position (of an intern). The answer is yes -- at the time you are interviewing, your health is such that you can do so.

Once you match, you will be evaluated by occupational medicine -- all incoming residents are (usually). At that point, you can tell them the whole story if you want -- it should be covered by pt/dr confidentiality. You could also leave it out.

Finish the rotation you missed, continue with your treatment, and you should be fine. However, don't forget that starting a new program, perhaps in a new location away from friends and family, working nights, etc all are stressful -- so make sure you have a good treatment plan when you start an internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user