Disclosing medications you are prescribed to your hospital/HR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrie99

Reaction score
Hello,
Browsing for a while but posting for the first time since I need some advice. I am currently a PGY2 going into PGY3. I have had a rough past year due to several issues in my personal life I have had significant anxiety due to several losses. I have finally sought help for it a couple of months ago with therapy and have been prescribed medications. One of them is a controlled substance. I never took medications when I was hired in my program about 2 years ago. However, do I have to disclose to the health department that I am taking medications at this stage? I do not feel that taking the medication or my condition impairs my ability to provider patient care. I don't see anything in my contract. The thing that worries me is that my state uses a controlled substance monitoring program and I wonder if the hospital will get notification that I have filled a controlled substance. I think that is totally against HIPPAA and if I am being prescribed medication for a legitimate reason, its none of the hospital's business. I just thought I would post here in case anyone had any insight.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The occupational health department will ask in the event you're ever required to do a drug test, random or otherwise. You don't need to tell them otherwise.

If you do tell occ health, it should not (ever) make its way to your program itself.

The occupational health department will ask in the event you're ever required to do a drug test, random or otherwise. You don't need to tell them otherwise.

If you do tell occ health, it should not (ever) make its way to your program itself.

Thank you. The thing that worried me was that it may get reported to to the health department/HR at my hospital via the drug monitoring program. I don't feel like I should ever have to disclose or explain my health information to my hospital so long as it is not interfering with my ability to care for patients.

Thank you. The thing that worried me was that it may get reported to to the health department/HR at my hospital via the drug monitoring program. I don't feel like I should ever have to disclose or explain my health information to my hospital so long as it is not interfering with my ability to care for patients.
The only people reviewing your drug monitoring reports are the ones who are prescribing you meds. And they can't be reporting random things to your employer.

In addition to what Raryn said, the purpose of the drug monitoring program isn't to 'catch' people who legitimately use medications, it's to catch those who abuse the system. As in, trying to get multiple refills during a month so they can use or sell the additional drug.

In addition to what Raryn said, the purpose of the drug monitoring program isn't to 'catch' people who legitimately use medications, it's to catch those who abuse the system. As in, trying to get multiple refills during a month so they can use or sell the additional drug.

Thanks, I just think I'm used to seeing issues with doctors and the medical board looking at the stuff. But then again, like you said, I think its only for people who abuse the system.