Discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeper11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first practice aamc test (#8) after 3 months of studying. I feel so discouraged....

PS 7
Verbal 9
BS 7

Composite: 23

I'm registered to take on the real test on april 27. I remember sort of blanking out during the PS section. I practiced so much with questions (did EK 1001) but seeing them in actual passage context, made it seem so much more difficult.

Anyone have any tips for me on how to practice reading those science passages. Also, do you think its possible for me to raise this score to 33-35 in roughly less than 4 weeks. I also have school final exams in April...so I'm sort of feeling overhwlemed right now :(

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my first practice aamc test (#8) after 3 months of studying. I feel so discouraged....

PS 7
Verbal 9
BS 7

I'm registered to take on the real test on april 27. I remember sort of blanking out during the PS section. I practiced so much with questions (did EK 1001) but seeing them in actual passage context, made it seem so much more difficult.

Anyone have any tips for me on how to practice reading those science passages. Also, do you think its possible for me to raise this score to 33-35 in roughly less than 4 weeks. I also have school final exams in April...so I'm sort of feeling overhwlemed right now :(

Your scores on the sciences show that your content knowledge is a little lacking. If I were you, I would definitely postpone. It's highly unlikely that you raise your score by 10 points in less than a month.

To raise your score, first you need to work on your contents. Use TPR books, they are awesome. Not too detailed as TBR but a lot more thorough than EK books. Second, lay off the EK material. I used them for my first take and they screwed me. They are as far away from representing the real mcat as it gets. You need to practice passages. TPR SW book is excellent. It closely mimics the type of passages you are likely to find on the MCAT, especially for bio. TBR is excellent for physics and Gchem, but they are tough and can be discouraging. Third, practice as much AAMC material as you can. Redo the tests you have already done, so you can get hang of the type of passages and questions they have. I practice each test 3-4 times. I literally squeeze every penny out of them. Lastly, and more importantly, STOP WASTING MORE AAMC FL'S. Seriously. These are valuable material and they are few. Don't take any more FL's until you know you can score 4+ more points.

Your verbal score is good, so clearly you are blessed that you don't have to worry about that. I would kill to get 7+ on verbal.

Postpone. Don't rush yourself.

PS 7
Verbal 9
BS 7

I was also registered for the April 27 but my practice score was too low.. I rescheduled for June 20. Took a ton of pressure off and I started using chads videos and have already seen a 4 point increase.

PS 7
Verbal 9
BS 7

I agree with everyone else. You definitely need to postpone and take the exam when you are truly ready and your scores reflect that. I was in the same boat as you and I took the exam anyway, which was a terrible mistake because I did not do well on the real mcat at all (I just had all the hope in the world). This time around I am doing TPR and TBR. Which are way better than EK. I feel like EK give too little info and make things seem more simple than it really is. TPR science workbook is excellent and Chad videos do help some. For Bio I use youtube videos which really help me understand the material better. Good luck and Dont RUSH

Yikes... final exam and MCAT at the same time? That seems to be an overkill. I would defer just based on the busyness of your schedule alone. A's do matter for med school, so I would focus on that first.

As far as raising your score by 10, it is possible. If I had taken AAMC 8 in February, I would have gotten destroyed. It all depends on your resources, availability of your time, focus, aptitude, etc but it is possible.

Don't lose hope. I think my first take on AAMC 3 was like 24. Now I am averaging around 35 on AAMC 8-10.