Discrepant comlex vs step scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiegrub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to return and train at ACGME side for residency but got my comlex (which I studied through uworld and that's it) and without surprise I got a low score.

Step 1: 227
Comlex: 528

Through expert opinion, what score will be used against me and what specialties am I still competitive for? On one side if I could have focused on only comlex I would have definitely done a whole lot better but with the terrible predicament DOs are in (and I do wish I had known about the hardship before admission as a lot of changes are being deliberated) a lot of people have had to take the 2 tests at the same time (and I'm not talking about just the top 1/3 of the class like it used to be in DO schools, now it's close to 1/2 of the class).

Members don't see this ad.

I have always wanted to return and train at ACGME side for residency but got my comlex (which I studied through uworld and that's it) and without surprise I got a low score.

Through expert opinion, what score will be used against me and what specialties am I still competitive for? On one side if I could have focused on only comlex I would have definitely done a whole lot better but with the terrible predicament DOs are in (and I do wish I had known about the hardship before admission as a lot of changes are being deliberated) a lot of people have had to take the 2 tests at the same time (and I'm not talking about just the top 1/3 of the class like it used to be in DO schools, now it's close to 1/2 of the class).
I doubt you would have done "a whole lot better" if you had only taken COMLEX, and I don't think blaming circumstances is a healthy coping mechanism for your performance. You are definitely competitive for Family, Psych, Peds, PM&R, IM, ER, OB/GYN and Anesthesia. Questionable Rads and Gen Surg. Out of the running for the other surgical specialties and derm.

Reactions: 2 users
I doubt you would have done "a whole lot better" if you had only taken COMLEX, and I don't think blaming circumstances is a healthy coping mechanism for your performance. You are definitely competitive for Family, Psych, Peds, PM&R, IM, ER, OB/GYN and Anesthesia. Questionable Rads and Gen Surg. Out of the running for the other surgical specialties and derm.
I agree with you and I would never make excuses for my ignorance. I was simply saying that because I couldn't alot the time needed to do enough COMBANK/COMQUEST style questions, I certainly got what I deserved. My projected comlex score was much higher before dedicated and this is why I am quite disappointed. Comlex style is very different from usmle and the sections that I did do some combank on the day before comlex, I scored much higher simply because I recognized what the questions were asking. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't taken both but the test styles are different and if one goes in only preparing for usmle they may be taking a risk like I did. Anyways that doesn't matter and now I just want to know where I stand and if PDs from ACGME side are going to focus on my COMLEX score

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you and I would never make excuses for my ignorance. I was simply saying that because I couldn't alot the time needed to do enough COMBANK/COMQUEST style questions, I certainly got what I deserved. My projected comlex score was much higher before dedicated and this is why I am quite disappointed. Comlex style is very different from usmle and the sections that I did do some combank on the day before comlex, I scored much higher simply because I recognized what the questions were asking. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't taken both but the test styles are different and if one goes in only preparing for usmle they may be taking a risk like I did. Anyways that doesn't matter and now I just want to know where I stand and if PDs from ACGME side are going to focus on my COMLEX score

No, most PDs from ACGME programs are going to focus on your USMLE score because majority of the applicants are going to have only USMLE scores. Unless you failed COMLEX, you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

What? Have you checked the percentiles? Pretty sure those scores are fairly similar to each other, percentile wise.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure your comlex is better than your step score. NBOME converter puts a 528 around 52%..your step 1 is around 43%.

The average was way above 528 this year for COMLEX. They’re about the same

You scored meh on both. What’s the discrepancy?

Reactions: 3 users
sorry i should have made myself more clear. Last year the 525 was considered much lower in percentile. I wasn't sure if PDs knew or even cared. Yes I performed similarly on both but at least for step I knew that most programs have a 220 cutoff and that has remained steady, I wasn't sure if that was the case they would apply for comlex if I provided both (and I know that I have to provide both).

Last edited:
It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't taken both but the test styles are different and if one goes in only preparing for usmle they may be taking a risk like I did. Anyways that doesn't matter and now I just want to know where I stand and if PDs from ACGME side are going to focus on my COMLEX score

That poster has taken both, and so have I. You did about the same on both, and comquest/combank are garbage so more of that wouldn’t have helped you. Many many people only study for Step and do very well on COMLEX, so that isn’t an excuse. Your scores aren’t bad, I agree with that poster and you are competitive for most non-surgical things, and potentially rads/gen surg if you have other aspects to your app. The really competitive stuff is out.
Last year the 525 was considered much lower in percentile.

Last year a 525 was a much higher percentile.

I scored quite well on level one without doing a single combank/quest question. It's not the reason you didn't kill the exam. Your strategy was avtually good. There isnt any discrepancy either, you scored what I'd expect based on a 227 step 1. They're both fine scores, nothing more or less. I dont think traditionally acgme programs will care about your comlex

Reactions: 2 users
I scored quite well on level one without doing a single combank/quest question. It's not the reason you didn't kill the exam. Your strategy was avtually good. There isnt any discrepancy either, you scored what I'd expect based on a 227 step 1. They're both fine scores, nothing more or less. I dont think traditionally acgme programs will care about your comlex
Thank you and yes I didn't expect to do well in comlex but I kick myself so much today because I didn't sleep the night before. I got psyched that I hadn't studied enough for comlex and so I crammed as much as I could. My computer broke down 3 times and they had to shift me 2 times. Nevertheless, all I am saying is it is my fault and my fault alone. It's a miracle that I even passed. Anyways, all I needed to know was which exam score ACGME programs would look at. I have better idea through my usmle score but not via comlex score because I don't know what percentile score this is as it will release next year.

Anyways, all I needed to know was which exam score ACGME programs would look at.

They won’t even care about COMLEX. I’d be surprised if they even looked at it beyond “is it above passing?”

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you and yes I didn't expect to do well in comlex but I kick myself so much today because I didn't sleep the night before. I got psyched that I hadn't studied enough for comlex and so I crammed as much as I could. My computer broke down 3 times and they had to shift me 2 times. Nevertheless, all I am saying is it is my fault and my fault alone. It's a miracle that I even passed. Anyways, all I needed to know was which exam score ACGME programs would look at. I have better idea through my usmle score but not via comlex score because I don't know what percentile score this is as it will release next year.
Yeah that's rough. You came out of it fine and I don't think you have much to worry about.