Discrete Math (CS) included in BCPM GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arkhias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to wait until next year to apply, but I am trying to do some GPA calculations to see where each of them stand.

I took a computer science course (with a CS prefix) called discrete mathematics. Will this get flagged into the BCPM GPA calculation, even though it's technically a CS course?

It's one of the two courses in my early academic career that I kind of blew and repeated for an A in a later semester, but I'm concerned it will bring down my science GPA significantly.

Members don't see this ad.

I think, but don't quote me on this, If it has the Prefix (MAT) it counts as that M in BCPM.

BCPM categorization is the responsibility of the applicant, since they know more about the curriculum of a particular course than the AAMC staff. However, if a course is clearly non-BCPM (underwater basketweaving), AAMC will correct your designation to some other label. Since in this case your course label could be reasonably argued for and against BCPM I'd say go with the one that does the most for your GPA (therefore, label it COM for computers). If AAMC later decides to change it, that is their right.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but my question is very similar.

I'm taking an Insects and human society (essentially entomology) course which is offered by the Environmental Science dept. Can that go under BCPM?

Please give me some good news ??? :xf: