DISCUSS: News on Future veterinary schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m not saying it’s okay in any way, but this is absolutely not an issue limited to one school. A lot of this type of thing is generally hidden from students and happens behind the scenes…I know I’m way more aware of things like this now that I have friends who work in academia and tell me the stories than I ever was as a student.
True. Ugh, definitely a lot for me to think about before submitting…
 
Definitely, but this sort of discrimination tends to be institutional and structural. One person couldn’t do what they did and get away with it if the institution wasn’t supporting their actions.
I really want to get into vet school, but the idea of going through this again, especially as someone who will be in even less of a position of power as these folks/compared to the last time I did, turns my stomach.
As someone who also works in Higher Ed, albeit in a critical support department, you would be shocked what it takes to actually fire someone, and even then they're usually given the choice to resign to preserve their reputation.
But there is usually one or two people who are 1: trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and support them, 2: complaints haven't historically been taken seriously so there is a culture of implied approval of the behavior, 3: the position they occupy is too difficult to fill or will be lost if they leave, so it becomes an awful game of wait and see.
 
As someone who also works in Higher Ed, albeit in a critical support department, you would be shocked what it takes to actually fire someone, and even then they're usually given the choice to resign to preserve their reputation.
But there is usually one or two people who are 1: trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and support them, 2: complaints haven't historically been taken seriously so there is a culture of implied approval of the behavior, 3: the position they occupy is too difficult to fill or will be lost if they leave, so it becomes an awful game of wait and see.
I definitely saw a lot of this in my previous career. It’s just so frustrating and exhausting.