Discussing “taboo” topic in secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That’s not what different than you means lol. Because they were a different gender?

They mean when did you advocate for someone that was more underserved than you, different culture, impoverished, less access to care… etc.

No. They were different than me because I like burgers and he likes pizza

Members don't see this ad.

They aren’t that type of organization. I can maybe ask the leader next time but I know here pretty well and she hasn’t mentioned anything along these lines.

I would but I honestly don’t have the time unfortunately. I can do some things online like send letters or cold call but I can’t go to my state capitol (it’s also 700 miles away from me), I also work 6-7 days a week and so outside of that I just don’t have the time to physically go in. But i can look into something more “remote” like I think you or someone else stated. I was just hoping to have a story that was more direct, something where I had direct change.
In all helpfulness writing a letter to the editor or something takes like 1 hr so that is pretty accessible and is a part of advocacy.

I had the same thought, but honestly I think people are being a little harsh here. So the OP doesn't have the best possible answer for this prompt. It's at least a reasonable response, and as long as the rest of the application passes muster it's not going to disqualify him.

That said OP, I would have an answer ready in case a particularly picky interviewer asks you how that girl was different from you. And maybe reflect on whether or not your experiences have taken you out of your comfort zone or if that is something you should try to work on over the coming year.
I would agree that this thread is running its course, turning into a bout of sarcasm and passive aggression. Regardless, I don't think the constructive responses have been too harsh at all. It seemed like OP needed some guidance as to what advocacy is and looks like, which will help them in the process of writing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In all helpfulness writing a letter to the editor or something takes like 1 hr so that is pretty accessible and is a part of advocacy.

My only hold back for doing something like this is that it looks very “box checky”. Like unless I can follow up more with it, but even then to start something like a month before just looks forced to me.

I guess unless I come across a opportunity during my soup kitchen weekly volunteering, I’ll have to use my other example. As I can talk more authentically about it.

I had the same thought, but honestly I think people are being a little harsh here. So the OP doesn't have the best possible answer for this prompt. It's at least a reasonable response, and as long as the rest of the application passes muster it's not going to disqualify him.

That said OP, I would have an answer ready in case a particularly picky interviewer asks you how that girl was different from you. And maybe reflect on whether or not your experiences have taken you out of your comfort zone or if that is something you should try to work on over the coming year.

Thank you. And yeah I can answer that. I don’t really know her full story so I could be vastly different but just going off my short time I can try and formulate something!

As I stated in a previous comment, I can start looking into opportunities but to me it will come off forced and like I’m checking the box which is far worse than just going with what I have which is honest and authentic. But that’s just me

Lots of good advice on this thread, and I urge OP to especially adhere to LizzyM’s and GoSpursGo’s advice. Some posts coming from other premeds are pretty harsh though even though I agree with their point.

My only hold back for doing something like this is that it looks very “box checky”. Like unless I can follow up more with it, but even then to start something like a month before just looks forced to me.

I guess unless I come across a opportunity during my soup kitchen weekly volunteering, I’ll have to use my other example. As I can talk more authentically about it.
It’s not box checking if you’re doing it out of genuine interest

It’s not box checking if you’re doing it out of genuine interest

I very may be but it’s the timing that would look off to me. Like starting it right before apps can be submitted looks weird. But that’s just me

I very may be but it’s the timing that would look off to me. Like starting it right before apps can be submitted looks weird. But that’s just me
I mean, some box checking is often necessary. As long as you show you know what you’re getting into I wouldn’t worry about it

Reactions: 1 user
Late to this party, here's my penny-worth suggestion to frame-shift the prompt to help you:

Have you ever been a leader within an organization? If so, when have you had to take an unpopular stand on behalf of a member, or justify making an unpopular decision that affected your organization? (Advocacy is a competency of leadership.)

So the second question asks:

“Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone who was different from you or for a cause or idea that was different from yours. Define advocacy as you view it. What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate”…
OP before you decide what you will write about , start by answering the two highlighted Prompts. After you do that if you can honestly say not getting a tattoo because your girlfriend doesn’t like them is advocacy, then you are set for your application response. Same with the soup kitchen . Showing up every week and helping is admirable. You are certainly serving an unserved/underserved population but is it advocacy?
You have to start with a good look at what advocacy means to you. From the responses , obviously most of our definitions of advocacy are vastly different than yours. That’s why you will have to be very clear when answering this prompt by explaining what advocacy looks like to you.

OP before you decide what you will write about , start by answering the two highlighted Prompts. After you do that if you can honestly say not getting a tattoo because your girlfriend doesn’t like them is advocacy, then you are set for your application response. Same with the soup kitchen . Showing up every week and helping is admirable. You are certainly serving an unserved/underserved population but is it advocacy?
You have to start with a good look at what advocacy means to you. From the responses , obviously most of our definitions of advocacy are vastly different than yours. That’s why you will have to be very clear when answering this prompt by explaining what advocacy looks like to you.
Serving the underserved can and should be viewed as advocacy but I think OP is not readily seeing how by being unsure how to answer this from their experiences

Reactions: 1 user
Serving the underserved can and should be viewed as advocacy but I think OP is not readily seeing how by being unsure how to answer this from their experiences
Well that’s sort of my point. OP doesn’t understand what advocacy is. On the other hand I’m not sure I’d say showing up for a few hours a week at a soup kitchen and serving food or wiping tables is an example of advocacy. Service to the unserved/underserved-absolutely. Now if OP found out that some of the clients were lactose intolerant or allergic to something and he made the director aware of the issues and changes in menus were made then that could be a case where he advocated for change. OP has to figure out what advocacy is to him before he can decide what he has done .

Well that’s sort of my point. OP doesn’t understand what advocacy is. On the other hand I’m not sure I’d say showing up for a few hours a week at a soup kitchen and serving food or wiping tables is an example of advocacy. Service to the unserved/underserved-absolutely. Now if OP found out that some of the clients were lactose intolerant or allergic to something and he made the director aware of the issues and changes in menus were made then that could be a case where he advocated for change. OP has to figure out what advocacy is to him before he can decide what he has done .
Oh I can think of several examples illustrating advocacy even in these instances pretty readily but I’ll let OP think about their experiences in detail and write accordingly.

Yeah I’m scratching the tattoo story 100%. But what about the story I talked about as a leader of my volunteer program? Would that work? The issue people took note as it may not have been for someone who is “different” from me, but it is a good example of advocacy.

Yeah I’m scratching the tattoo story 100%. But what about the story I talked about as a leader of my volunteer program? Would that work? The issue people took note as it may not have been for someone who is “different” from me, but it is a good example of advocacy.
I think it would be fine and it could be spun as her having a different personality - perhaps more shy, withdrawn, anxious etc than you or the typical person you would select for that role. There are lots of ways someone can be different!

If you are talking about the person you had retest, I think that would okay. It’s certainly better than the soup kitchen /tattoo situation.
Since it is supposed to be part of your response, have written what your definition of advocacy is to you? Your full response will revolve around this definition.

If you are talking about the person you had retest, I think that would okay. It’s certainly better than the soup kitchen /tattoo situation.
Since it is supposed to be part of your response, have written what your definition of advocacy is to you? Your full response will revolve around this definition.
I still think the soup kitchen is fine and answers the prompt if OP just spends some time thinking about it. But the volunteer leadership is good though.

Have not completely done that yet!

I still think the soup kitchen is fine and answers the prompt if OP just spends some time thinking about it. But the volunteer leadership is good though.

Yeah I see what you mean, I think I am just hoping to find a direct situation as opposed to a blanket occurrence if that makes sense!