Discussing ulcers with docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am pretty convinced I have a stomach ulcer (not acid reflux or heartburn symptoms, just persistent sour stomach). Anyways, my concern is that since I am kind of limited to seeing a family practice MD or NP for now, what is the best way to make them understand that this is not acid reflux or heartburn? And are invasive procedures really necessary to diagnose a peptic ulcer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could do a PPI trial to rule out GERD. There's also a blood test to test for H.pylori antibodies (associated with PUD). I'd just get a script for a Helicopak (multi-drug regimen to treat H.pylori, which can be the cause of the ulcer).

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I think that a PPI may be in my best interest since it's my gut feeling (no pun intended) that excess stomach acid is my main problem, although I really don't have any of the symptoms for GERD. I don't know much about PPI long term treatment, but isn't there some harm in reducing the acidity of the stomach for the long term? Is there any PPI in particular you would suggest?

I'll be seeing a NP on Monday, and as in the past she basically writes me a script for whatever I suggest. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a pre-med so obviously i don't know much about this kind of thing except what I've gone through with my own health.

I have been on PPIs since 2000 (sometimes bid) and never had an evaluation to determine what was causing my heartburn, epigastric pain, and RUQ pain. I have sour stomach a lot, and IBS or IBD had been mentioned in the past as well.

I saw a gastroenterologist a few weeks ago and had an endoscopy on Friday. He did blood tests and ruled out celiac disease or IBD (Crohn's and UC) and diagnosed a hiatal hernia. I may still need to have another HIDA scan and I'm having an upper GI with SBFT in two weeks to further evaluate the hiatal hernia, but my point is that a lot of the symptoms for a myriad of different disease are very similar. I wish I'd had an endoscopy years ago and maybe had the hiatal hernia repair instead of living with a lot of GI symptoms for so long.

Just try not to let it go as long as I did. If the PPI trial or other treatments you try don't work then get a thorough evaluation. You'll have peace of mind if nothing is found, and if something is discovered you can work toward correcting it and feeling better. Good luck!

Thanks for your input guys!

Well, the NP put me on Prilosec OTC. I wasn't even aware that OTC PPIs existed. Anyways, is it a pretty good PPI or are there better ones that can be perscribed?

Thanks

Please don't solicit medical advice on these forums. If you have further questions you should bring them up with your PCP, or ask for a second opinion if you're not satisfied with your care.

Closing thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.