Discussion: First-Generation College Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeebee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy, ya’ll. As we’re finishing up CRIP 2023 in Dallas, I felt inspired to create this thread. If you’re an FGCS like me, I want to hear about your experiences in pod school, or the journey to get here. Sometimes it’s just nice to have a sounding board (because Lord knows our families can’t be that for us).

Some stuff to think about:
1. What were the biggest obstacles for you as an FGCS? What did you do about it?
2. Do you think there is anything CPMs should be doing differently for us?
3. How do ward off imposter syndrome?

1. For me, the hardest part was the undiagnosed ADHD that we now know was passed down to me from my parents. They were diagnosed *after* I was. Who could have guessed that people with ADHD thrive in blue collar jobs, working with their hands?
2. By now, I’ve learned to seek out my own mentors. I often feel like I’m last to know about anything that could give me a leg up or make school easier. More regular advising meeting would have been helpful, though my advisor was not a DPM. She was awesome and did her best, but she wasn’t the advisor I needed. It would be nice if CPMs could implement a specialized advising program for FGCS’s.
3. My mother thinks I am just the smartest ever. Little does she know, I am an average student in every way. I haven’t figured this one out yet, but maybe one day, I’ll start to believe that I’m as great as she thinks I am.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do me a favor and skim the original White Coat investor articles before you have a family/kid. I don't want you buying whole life insurance because someone told you that's what rich young doctors need.

Terrible story.

I have a wife, 2 kids, and $1.5 million of term life insurance for a trivial price - under $700 a year.
My MA who has like 5 kids was making $15 an hour and paying dramatically more than that for $50K of whole life insurance.

Tragic.

Reactions: 1 users
I tried to become a doctor to get out of poverty, only to find myself potentially in an even worse position than I started.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn’t expecting this thread to take such a negative turn 🥲

Your career is only as good as you make it. I’ve met residents in the Midwest signing contracts for annual salaries of $200K. For as much negativity I see online, you would think it would match my experience in real life.

Hey DrBeeBee, congrats on getting this far. People who think they are average tend to be exceptional, and vice versa :)

You've worked hard and earned a very bright future ahead. Hope to follow in your footsteps someday.

Cheers.

I wasn’t expecting this thread to take such a negative turn 🥲

Your career is only as good as you make it. I’ve met residents in the Midwest signing contracts for annual salaries of $200K. For as much negativity I see online, you would think it would match my experience in real life.
You don't have any real life experience though. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users