dislike anatomy, bad for rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

955thebeat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a M1, and i find that i don't like anatomy because of the huge amount of memorizing. whereas, i find physiology fun to learn since it's mostly conceptual. i'm considering rads (along with internal med), so just wondering if it's a good idea to even pursue rads. basically, does my disliking anatomy mean that i won't enjoy radiology or is it an indication that i won't be a good radiologist?

also, i'm not a very techie person...don't know if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

i am a M1, and i find that i don't like anatomy because of the huge amount of memorizing. whereas, i find physiology fun to learn since it's mostly conceptual. i'm considering rads (along with internal med), so just wondering if it's a good idea to even pursue rads. basically, does my disliking anatomy mean that i won't enjoy radiology or is it an indication that i won't be a good radiologist?

also, i'm not a very techie person...don't know if that matters.

You don't like anatomy, you don't like memorizing stuff and you're not into gadgets.

Umm, ok. And you're considering radiology... why exactly?

I really enjoyed physiology for the same reason you do. I wouldn't say that I disliked anatomy, but it didn't really do much for me either. I love radiology and would rather not be a physician than do a different specialty. Just wait and see what you like once you're in clerkships; don't let preconceptions and generalizations determine the specialty into which you enter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice post/discussions.

As far as anatomy, it is certainly expected a radiologist would appreciate and like anatomy but that is not required of course. If you like gadgets, that helps but there are quite a few radiologists with minimal interest in "gadgets" / tech at the same time but there is a skewed population of techies in rads.

Go through third year and see what other specialties are like too.

Radiology is a great specialty so you will surely find that even if you don't "love" anatomy and tech, there are other reasons to enjoy rads.

Good luck! Don't hesitate to PM or contact me further for additional advice.

I really enjoyed physiology for the same reason you do. I wouldn't say that I disliked anatomy, but it didn't really do much for me either. I love radiology and would rather not be a physician than do a different specialty. Just wait and see what you like once you're in clerkships; don't let preconceptions and generalizations determine the specialty into which you enter.

Um...you hate memorizing stuff? How are you even in medicine period, versus considering one of the most egghead/memorize EVERYTHING specialties like radiology?

Um...you hate memorizing stuff? How are you even in medicine period, versus considering one of the most egghead/memorize EVERYTHING specialties like radiology?

You're trying to call someone out on their decision to go into medicine because they don't like memorization? I'm willing to guess a lot of people, even radiologist, don't LIKE to sit there and memorize. They do it because they find other aspects interesting or they enjoy the results that occur once the memorization is done.

You're trying to call someone out on their decision to go into medicine because they don't like memorization? I'm willing to guess a lot of people, even radiologist, don't LIKE to sit there and memorize. They do it because they find other aspects interesting or they enjoy the results that occur once the memorization is done.

I agree with MossPoh. It's hilarious to me to see people be slaves to their conceptions (or misconceptions) and generalizations when dishing out advice. I don't enjoy memorization much either, but - as I've said before - I love radiology.

I agree with MossPoh. It's hilarious to me to see people be slaves to their conceptions (or misconceptions) and generalizations when dishing out advice. I don't enjoy memorization much either, but - as I've said before - I love radiology.

I apologize. I misread the original post and his tone. I agree most of us don't LIKE memorizing. Again, too harsh of a response by myself.

There is very little relevance to comparing gross anatomy as an MS 1 to predicting your interest in radiology.

I hated anatomy. It smelled bad, it was tiring, I didn't learn crap. It was as boring as knitting, except you felt, looked, and smelled like **** by the time you were done.

As for my class, I think students that liked anatomy ended up liking surgical specialties -- the physicality of the two seems to play a role too.

whereas, i find physiology fun to learn since it's mostly conceptual.
You should definitely take a look at anesthesiology. From what I've seen, people who enjoy physiology enjoy that field.

Third year will help clarify a lot of things like this. You will most likely be surprised at what you end up liking or not liking.