Dismissal from dental school- after only one semester? What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShadowCipher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title suggests, I've been told that I'm to be dismissed from my dream dental school after only one semester.

I failed two classes and the school deems me unfit for the "rigors of the dental program". I'm completely flabbergasted and stunned that my school would choose this route instead of giving me a second chance. According to the student handbook, if a student failed more than 1 class, they're given either the option of repeating the entire semester, the entire year, or dismissal. I come from a long line of dentists and ALL have failed several classes at a time. They've never heard of dismissal from the get go. Even my older classmates are stunned that they took this route. Several of my classmates were in similar situations as myself and they were given the remediation route.

Any advice? I've already appealed to the Dean of the school and now I'm going to appeal to the board.

I know there was bias in this decision as the chair of the committee didn't like me (since I complained about her emotional abuse towards me). Is legal action the next route? Can I reapply to other schools?

Please help me, I'm desperate for some answers. And know I can't do anything but dentistry.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK WHAT SCHOOL I'M ATTENDING. I WILL NOT DISCLOSE THAT INFORMATION

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Solution
Hi everyone. I wanted to post an update to educate the community.

My dismissal was reversed, but only because I took the advice of another user. It might not work in your case, but it worked in mine… I lawyered up.

PLEASE READ YOUR HANDBOOK. If I had read the handbook carefully I wouldn’t have been in this situation.

To anyone reading this applying to dental school, please read the school’s handbook before you matriculate into that dental school. Ask about remediation, retakes, policies, etc. during the interviews! If I had read the handbook before matriculation, I might have chosen a different school with a more lenient and better outlined course of action for any student who gets into my situation.

I hope this post was educating...
Pretty certain you won’t be able to apply to other schools. If you can’t handle the curriculum at your school, chances are good you can’t handle it at another.

You could try speaking to a lawyer but chances are slim. It seems like there’s more to the story that you’re not disclosing because if you have the option of remediating and you are getting dismissed then something must have happened to cause this. If you think it’s retaliation then you’re going to have to prove it.

Ngl it smells like NYU as this is something they’ve done before. But no need to disclose that.

Hope and a prayer you can get reinstated but if you don’t, it’s the end of the line.

Reactions: 3 users
Without knowing the details of which courses were failed, I know it is difficult to see a path forward. Deference is given to the school unless there is proof you have that bias (re: legal discrimination) is the definitive cause, I am not sure what help you could get. How involved are your family members in supporting the dental school (donors to alumni funds)?

Can your document this alleged retaliation? Either way, it may not help you stay in school, but it could help towards a resolution if this exists... and that's where a lawyer would help. Get one that your family trusts.

I can't do anything but dentistry.
The earlier you move away from this thinking, the sooner you can heal from whatever happens. Depending on where you practice, many health careers might be in range. It depends on what courses you failed IMO.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some people i know went through a similar experience. What i would recommend is keep bugging the dean on what you can do for him to let you back in. Like possibly doing a masters or whatever he recommends. I would also start calling other schools and explaining your situation but has to be something that would make it seem like you are not going to fail again if they let you in. At worst and if you really want to do dentistry, i would apply to a masters program like Barry, that has some connections to dental schools, try to get a 4.0 GPA, and retake the DAT. Good luck, it's not an easy pass but people have done it.

Reactions: 1 user

My dismissal was reversed, but only because I took the advice of another user. It might not work in your case, but it worked in mine… I lawyered up.

PLEASE READ YOUR HANDBOOK. If I had read the handbook carefully I wouldn’t have been in this situation.

To anyone reading this applying to dental school, please read the school’s handbook before you matriculate into that dental school. Ask about remediation, retakes, policies, etc. during the interviews! If I had read the handbook before matriculation, I might have chosen a different school with a more lenient and better outlined course of action for any student who gets into my situation.

I hope this post was educating, I’m signing off.

Shadowcipher

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Solution

Shadowcipher
Now you need to figure out how to correct your studying in order to pass your classes. If you fail again, they’ll certainly dismiss you.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users

Shadowcipher
Put your head down, be kind and humble to all STAFF and professors, don't argue back even if you are certain you are right, pass your classes with a B or better, volunteer and be exemplary even if it is more work and collect your degree on graduation. The situation might not seem fair going forward, but you are going to have to impress the people around you so that they can vouch for you in the future if anything (which is likely now that you stick out) pops up.

Reactions: 4 users
Now you need to figure out how to correct your studying in order to pass your classes. If you fail again, they’ll certainly dismiss you.

Big Hoss
Oh 100%, I already got a tutor, and have switched my entire learning process to making Anki decks! I wish I had done that last semester, but hey I learned my lesson!

Find another career. Simple as that
I feel like I am not seeing the entire situation. Failing 2 classes as a first semester D1 student is a giant red flag that you will probably not succeed in this curriculum. Its one thing to fail a class. It is another thing to fail a class and the other grades are borderline failing. Nothing was mentioned about other grades. You may want to have a good look at yourself before you make any decisions. If you feel they violated policy towards you, hire an attorney. Good luck.

Shadowcipher
I'm glad you took the advice to lawyer up and fight it, and didn't listen to other posters who advised you to give up and 'find another career'. People can be way too harsh and negative on here.
In my dental school (this of course varies from school to school), D1 year was definitely the most difficult year (especially our first semester), and D2 and the years following were a breeze in comparison. D1 year often teaches a ton of didactic stuff that has no bearing on your quality and skillset as a clinician. One of the most skilled, personable, and financially successful dentists I know had to remediate their entire D1 year.

I'm happy for you and like everyone mentioned, keep your head down, study hard, and don't give them any reason to kick you out permanently.

Reactions: 2 users