Dismissal from medical school, seeking advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramakul

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice about the current situation I am in. I am getting dismissed by my Caribbean Med school next week. The reason is that I do not have a passing Step 2CK by the deadline of 7 year after admission. I didn't know about this rule before. In fact, I have never heard of it until they send me a letter few months ago. I have been preparing to take CK which I have already paid and register to take next month, but unfortunately after the deadline. So I cannot sit for the exam, as the school advisor told me today.

I have finished all my classes and clinical rotations, with a decent GPA and never fail a single class. I passed my step 1 and 2CS on first try. However, I did not passed my first 2CK because I took it during my surgery rotation. I was going to retake 2CK after I finish all my rotations, but I was suffered from chronic bilateral iritis. I was having pain and photophobia, and could not study or stared at my laptop to work on question bank. Adding up with rough family situation, I was not able to study until recently. As I am currently on remission from iritis; however, it is too late for me to be ready to take exam before deadline.

I am going to file an appeal with school committee. I just want a chance to take 2CK and graduate. So, any fellow SDN have advice for me? Do I need to get a consultation from a lawyer to prepare myself for appealing process?

Thank you very much for your helps. Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this topic. :bigtears:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Holy crap, I'm sorry. Hope you end up getting some good advice by some of the more experienced posters. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I need some advice about the current situation I am in.

First of all, what's your end goal? If you're planning to Match and practice in the US, you need to know that you have an incredible hurdle in front of you that will only be overcome by a lot of hustle, a lot of networking, and a lot of luck. A seven year gap is an enormous red-flag, even without your failing CK. No program is going to willingly touch you unless you've made solid connections with them and have proven to the PD that you're recommitted to medicine. Just doing that is going to be a huge accomplishment with a vanishingly small chance of success.

Secondly, if you haven't done so already, you need to start a conversation with the appropriate deans at your school, along with any academic advisors or clinical coordinators involved. Make sure they were aware of your medical issues, and be prepared to provide documentation if requested. Even then, I'd be shocked if they let you sit the exam and graduate. You were almost certainly made aware of the requirements for completing the degree before you matriculated, which usually involves a set time frame to complete the required courses and exams. Your best chance of success will be to try to work with them, rather than get lawyers involved. Throw yourself on the mercy of the court and try to make a case for yourself. They might be lenient if health issues were involved.

Honestly, this is a pretty huge screw-up on your part and can't believe there isn't more to this story. If you were having medical/family issues that were interfering with your studies, why didn't you get your deans involved at that time, rather than wait another 3.5 years to start worrying about this? Three years to study for CK? You could have literally repeated MS1-MS3 in that time frame. I'm trying to be sympathetic to your cause here, but honestly, what did you think was going to happen? I can't really imagine a scenario where this ends well for you, given your apparent lack of pro-activity in the past. Your initial mistake of failing the CK was recoverable; your inability to address and correct it is unlikely to be.

Reactions: 1 user
You will very likely not match in the US even if you were to pass Step 2 CK, as you have taken 7 years to complete your degree, have a failure on your record, and are a Carib grad. That's just too many red flags, you'd have a hard time fighting your way into even the most remote of internships.

Honestly, this is a pretty huge screw-up on your part.

Yes, I know that this is a huge screw-up on my part. I have already come to a conclusion that I will not get into any residency program here. Basically, a residency in the US is not an option for me. All I want is just to graduate and hold that diploma.

What follow after that? I don't know yet. I just want to graduate after all the works that I put in.

Yes, I know that this is a huge screw-up on my part. I have already come to a conclusion that I will not get into any residency program here. Basically, a residency in the US is not an option for me. All I want is just to graduate and hold that diploma.

What follow after that? I don't know yet. I just want to graduate after all the works that I put in.
Do you need to take Step 2 CK to complete your training if you don't plan on practicing in the US? How far away is the deadline before you're ineligible?

Do you need to take Step 2 CK to complete your training if you don't plan on practicing in the US? How far away is the deadline before you're ineligible?
I believe that a passing Step 2 CK is the requirement for graduating from my school. bedevilled ben was right about my lack of pro-activity. It is my fault that I didn't pay attention to emails from school. I really do need diploma/degree to look for other options.

Yes, I have been in contact with academic advisor. She just said that after next week, I will be dismissed. After the dismissal, I may start the appeal process. It's just that I really don't know how to start. I don't know if I need advice from a professional. Again, I welcome any advice or critic. I know I will face a tough situation when I am in front of the committee. They will most likely say the same thing as other posters critic me on this thread. So anything helps.

Last edited:
I believe that a passing Step 2 CK is the requirement for graduating. bedevilled ben was right about my lack of pro-activity. It is my fault that I didn't pay attention to emails from school. I really do need diploma/degree to look for other options.

Yes, I have been in contact with academic advisor. She just said that after next week, I will be dismissed. After the dismissal, I may start the appeal process. It's just that I really don't know how to start. I don't know if I need advice from a professional. Again, I welcome any advice or critic. I know I will face a tough situation when I am in front of committee. They will most likely say the same thing as other posters critic me on this thread. So anything helps.
When in doubt, call a lawyer.

I believe that a passing Step 2 CK is the requirement for graduating from my school. bedevilled ben was right about my lack of pro-activity. It is my fault that I didn't pay attention to emails from school. I really do need diploma/degree to look for other options.

See if your school has an optional exam for students not seeking residency or practice in the US. For example, my own program will accept the NBME Clinical Competency Exam in place of a passing CK score for graduating students if they aren't planning to go into the NRMP. I have no idea if you would be able to complete that before your dismissal.

See if your school has an optional exam for students not seeking residency or practice in the US. For example, my own program will accept the NBME Clinical Competency Exam in place of a passing CK score for graduating students if they aren't planning to go into the NRMP. I have no idea if you would be able to complete that before your dismissal.
It's worth him giving a shot before he's arbitrarily dismissed.

Members don't see this ad :)
See if your school has an optional exam for students not seeking residency or practice in the US.
I wish I know if my school offers that option. NBME CCSE would take so much pressure and anxiety off me. I guess I have never read that student manual to learn about school policies.

In term of taking the NBME Comprehensive Clinical Science Exam, I did request my advisor to let me take one as a practice for the real Step 2 CK. Unfortunately, it is too late. The advisor told me that she cannot register me for NBME CCSE exam as the date available are after my dismissal date.

I wish I know if my school offers that option. NBME CCSE would take so much pressure and anxiety off me. I guess I have never read that student manual to learn about school policies.

In term of taking the NBME Comprehensive Clinical Science Exam, I did request my advisor to let me take one as a practice for the real Step 2 CK. Unfortunately, it is too late. The advisor told me that she cannot register me for NBME CCSE exam as the date available are after my dismissal date.

Reading that manual might be a good idea. Or try contacting the NBME directly and see if you can beg, steal, or borrow your way into that exam. You're going to have to get creative at this point, you've waited quite literally to the last minute, so taking the traditional routes isn't going to cut it if you really want to graduate.

As a last ditch attempt, if all else goes south, might transferring to another Caribbean school be a good idea?

So, any fellow SDN have advice for me? Do I need to get a consultation from a lawyer to prepare myself for appealing process?

:thumbup:

But, it is going to cost you.

It is my fault that I didn't pay attention to emails from school.

I guess I have never read that student manual to learn about school policies.

I don't know if the Americans with Disabilities Act applies in your situation. Depends on where your school is chartered. But, right off the bat, I would suggest that you change your mindset here. If you were not afforded reasonable accommodations for a chronic condition that relapses and remits - one that affects your vision and that a qualified medical professional is willing to provide documentation - you may have a case if they dismiss you. Either way, try to work on another amicable resolution. For that you will need help beyond what we can offer you here. In other words...

Talk to a lawyer.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
As a last ditch attempt, if all else goes south, might transferring to another Caribbean school be a good idea?

It's an idea, but not a good one. With as many red flags as OP already has, transferring into a lower-ranked Caribbean school would pretty much seal the deal for never practicing, not to mention adding another couple years of tuition debt.

Thank you all for the advice. I have been reading the Student Handbook from my school. It seems like I have two weeks after the dismissal to appeal with letter. I don't know if there is an option to appear in person. Do you think it's a good idea to let them know that I do not have intention of applying for US residency? I don't know if they will look at that as a negative or positive.

Yes, I do have that as a backup option.

Thank you all for the advice. I have been reading the Student Handbook from my school. It seems like I have two weeks after the dismissal to appeal with letter. I don't know if there is an option to appear in person. Do you think it's a good idea to let them know that I do not have intention of applying for US residency? I don't know if they will look at that as a negative or positive.

Yes, I do have that as a backup option.
Do they accept federal loans? If so, that makes them be forced to comply with a lot. You should really contact a laeyer, though I have nfc how to find a good one.

If you appeal by letter, that usually will trigger some sort of an in person evaluation. But you should check the Student Handbook. It should describe exactly what the process is for appeal.

Much depends on what's been happening the last 3 years. If you have been continuously and fully disabled the last 3 years due to your illness, you will have a much better argument that you just recently became healthy enough to take the exam. If you were treated and improved over a year and now have just delayed for 2 years due to other reasons, then your school is likely to have much less mercy as you would have had plenty of time to take the exam without an extension.

You absolutely should file an appeal. Should you lose and decide to pursue other legal options, exhausting all internal options is critical to success. You may not need a lawyer to file your appeal -- it's not really a legal proceeding. But you should review the Student Handbook carefully, to see what the 7 year rule is. Make sure that LOA's are included in the rule. You should request an extension to take the exam on the next possible date -- asking for 6 months of study time is certain to rub people the wrong way. You should be studying in the meantime, because you may not get much time to prepare if they agree.

If you are able to take the exam and graduate, I agree that getting a spot in the US will be difficult. However, you will have one positive -- your graduation date will be now. So when PD's run a filter to exclude people who graduated more than X years ago, you won't be filtered out. When they review your application they may reject you because of your timeline, but at least you'll know that someone looked at it.

Good luck!

Hi there,

Last edited:
Hi there,

So I got dismissed from my Medical School due to an academic problem. Basically what happened is that I did not complete a step 1 board boot camp program before taking my step 1. They said I was not allowed to sit for test unless I finish the program. However, I did go to take the exam since the school let me register, and the prometric center called me to remind me of my exam. Unfortunately, I fail step 1 even tho I took two NBME self assessment exams in which I got 210 2 weeks before the real test and then 240 2 days before the test. The reason why I did not take the boards boot camp program was because I could not handle too much studying. I already paid for DIT and Uworld, thinking it would be enough. On top of that I had to finish such program imposed by the school -where nowhere in the academic bulletin it says that if I did not take it I could be dismissed. At the same time I was recovering from a mental break down I had last October -panic attacks, anxiety, depersonalization, derealization, and suicidal thoughts. I only remediated one class and that was only because of my emotional and mental state. I tried looking for help with the school's psychiatrist, but unfortunately my school did not renew the contract and he could not help me. So, there I was, the only latino in my class with no family within the next 500 miles radius, living in hell and on top of that my school's health insurance was expired -which happened due to a miscommunication from the school at the moment we applied for health insurance. I explained all of that to the APPS committee and beg them for a second chance, but they decided to dismiss me from school. I have never ever had any other academic problems and I am under medication now. I really cannot believe how inconsiderate and cold these people were with me. I have been asking other faculty members to help me including the school's psychologist. A friend of mine advised me to get a lawyer, but I am not sure if I should get things to the extend. Any advice please. Thanks
You took the board exam without permission? I'm truly sorry about the consequences here but you practically wrote the dismissal paperwork for them.

I hope it works out with a better outcome

Yeah you are right. I should have not done that. I did it just because the prometric center called me to remind me of my test. And I said yes I will take it. Plus the academic bulletin does not say anything about getting dismissed for that.
you need to own it better.....you didn't take against school orders because of a reminder from prometric.

You did it because you wanted it over with and thought you would pass so you could ignore the school....you made an intentional choice to thumb your nose at them (trust me, I would be tempted to do so, I get it) and then it blew up in your face. Again I'm sorry, but if you reacted like that to the school when they met with you it probably ticked them off

Reactions: 1 users