Dismissal Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twozies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was dismissed from a DO school about a year ago for academic difficulties but my transcript indicates that I withdrew from the program. I would rather not flat out state the name of the school but it is a young school that has made numerous changes (class size, curriculum, professors, policies, etc.) within the last 2 years and as a result, has lost a higher than usual number of its student body. Although the schools curricular and administrative "experiments" may have had some impact on my dismissal, it would be unfair to say that that was the sole cause of my dismissal. During my time as a student, there were mistakes that I made but I do feel confident that I have corrected them and am ready to try my hand at medicine again at a caribbean school.

My question is:
1. Will I have to state on my residency application that I was a prior DO student before I became a caribbean student?
2. If so, how big of a red flag will this be? The dean of my former school did offer to write a supporting letter to the PD if that helps.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you will have to state it on your residency app (in the sense that they would definitely find out), but it would be a horrible idea not to. If you do well in the caribbean with no red flags, I can't imagine a PD would really care that you previously withdrew from a DO program. The only way it would become an issue is if you didn't disclose it, and the PD somehow found out. That would end your chances with that program (and possibly officially label you as lying on your application).

In ERAS there is absolutely a question about any prior enrollment in any medical school, domestic or foreign. So not disclosing it would definitely be considering falsifying your application, but again I don't know whether or not a program would actually find out.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if you will have to state it on your residency app (in the sense that they would definitely find out), but it would be a horrible idea not to. If you do well in the caribbean with no red flags, I can't imagine a PD would really care that you previously withdrew from a DO program. The only way it would become an issue is if you didn't disclose it, and the PD somehow found out. That would end your chances with that program (and possibly officially label you as lying on your application).

In ERAS there is absolutely a question about any prior enrollment in any medical school, domestic or foreign. So not disclosing it would definitely be considering falsifying your application, but again I don't know whether or not a program would actually find out.

Thanks for the reply! One thing I was unsure about was whether ERAS asks for prior enrollment but now I know for sure. Thank you.