Is the Interview For SGU Still Standard Questions and Do You Still Have to Write an Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldpremed38

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering if the interview for SGU is still very straightforward where you are asked the traditional questions (Why do you want to be a doctor? Why SGU? Clinical activities and research?) and if you are still asked to write an essay even if you have an online interview?

Any input on SGU's current interview format would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but from what users on here have been posting recently, SGU is a trainwreck right now. They withdrew accreditation from CAAM-HP in 2021; my understanding is that because of this, starting in 2024, their students will be ineligible to sit for the USMLE or participate in the Match. Caribbean is usually a bad idea, but this is a horrendous idea.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but from what users on here have been posting recently, SGU is a trainwreck right now. They withdrew accreditation from CAAM-HP in 2021; my understanding is that because of this, starting in 2024, their students will be ineligible to sit for the USMLE or participate in the Match. Caribbean is usually a bad idea, but this is a horrendous idea.
Thank you for your reply. How confident are you that students will be ineligible to sit for the USMLE starting in 2024? Do you believe that the school is in the process of folding as we speak?

EthylMethylMan's info is now out of date. Somewhat surprised there hasn't been an update posted on this.

The history is St George's gave up their Accreditation through CAAM-HP, and became solely accredited through Grenada Medical and Dental Council. At the time GMDC wasn't recognized by WFME, and such recognition was required by 2024 for applicants to receive ECFMG certification and sit the USMLEs.

As of September 3rd, GMDC is now recognized by WFME (ten year recognition to September 2032, which seems quite impressive) Landing - gmdc.gd.

Given this, there shouldn't be any issues for St George's students come 2024. St George's has always been considered a top Caribbean med school, and it should be as safe an option as any of the other top Caribbean schools.

Attachments

• GMDC_Press-release_Recognition-1.pdf
    122.1 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: 2 users