Dismissal, Readmission and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2000 Man

No Limits
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How screwed am I (in terms of securing an OBGYN, Psych or FP residency) after being dismissed (for academic performance), then readmitted to the same school after demonstrating that the previous poor performance was due to circumstances that had been addressed and corrected, and now doing well (B+ range)? Are all but the very bottom programs going to take a pass on my application (assuming boards and 3rd/4th year grades are avg to above avg)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How screwed is someone (in terms of securing a OBGYN, Psych or FP residenct) who was dismissed (for academic performance), then was readmitted to the same school after demonstrating that the previous poor performance was due to circumstances that have been addressed and corrected, and is now doing well (B+ range)? are all but the very bottom programs going to take a pass on that applicant (assuming boards and clinical performance are avg to above avg)?

You won't really know until you try. The fields you listed aren't particularly competitive, so you are at least more realistic than if you listed something uber-competitive. You should probably just apply broadly and see where you get interviews -- that will tell you where you have a shot.

How screwed is someone (in terms of securing a OBGYN, Psych or FP residenct) who was dismissed (for academic performance), then was readmitted to the same school after demonstrating that the previous poor performance was due to circumstances that have been addressed and corrected, and is now doing well (B+ range)? are all but the very bottom programs going to take a pass on that applicant (assuming boards and clinical performance are avg to above avg)?

for psych I'm pretty sure they'll take you if you just show up on the first day. You may have to fill out some paperwork but I doubt its more competative than that.

i think psych only had 9 spots left after the match for people to scramble into. I doubt its as non-competitive as "just show up"

For ultracompetitive places, even for the lower competition specialties, they probably will go through their pile of applicants and just throw then out for stuff like that. However, for many others I think that if you do well during 3rd/4th year and do OK from here on out in preclinical work, then you should do O.K. in the Match. You will have to explain what happened, but would think there would be a number of programs that would consider you. OB is high stress and involves doing surgery so they will probably want to make sure you can handle stress...and pass the "in service" exams. Fp and psych are not very competitive especially outside of major metro areas on the coasts.

Part of it also depends on which school you go to. If you are at one of the newer, less known DO schools already and then trying to get an allopathic match, that's a different situation than if you were at Yale or Harvard, etc.