Dismissed and my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin_od

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know anybody who was dismissed from another graduate school ( i.e. pharmacy ) and got into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

On an application or in an interview, if there is any gap in your education between graduating college and when you apply, you will be asked to account for it. My general rule is to always tell the truth, probably rarely done; if you are caught in a lie, and you can never be sure you won't be, even if only by accident, you are doomed. It has happened.

The reason you were dismissed may also make a difference; if it was for misbehavior of any kind that MAY be more of a problem than an academic dismissal. Dismissals from professional schools are far more often due to what is happening in students' lives, including loss of motivation for the profession, than for purely--insufficient smarts--academic reasons. It is analogous to getting divorced for reason of incompatability; breakup of a marriage because of your cheating on your spouse is a more serious offense.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was academically dismissed from grad school cuzi hated it........i truly hated it......i now know i want to be a doctor........do i have any chance, what steps do i take? PLEASE HELP.....i am scared

i was academically dismissed from grad school cuzi hated it........i truly hated it......i now know i want to be a doctor........do i have any chance, what steps do i take? PLEASE HELP.....i am scared

As far as accounting for the big gap in the middle, you can just tell them that you were taking a part time job working in labs, tutoring pre-med students, etc. More often than not, they will take your words for it. They have so many students' files to review....they will not take an extra effort to look at your everyday life.

Also, it is customary for students to "take some time off" before attending med school to relax up a bit after the 4 strenuous years of undergrad. Dont worry too much about it. As long as you dont lie outrageously about anything, it wont hurt.
biggrin.gif

Just my 2 cents (note: not calculated to current market fluctuation)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by justin_od:

If they ask you why you were dismissed tell them you were just bluffing when you applied to grad school.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

Don't tell them and don't worry. They are not the CIA.

If you attended pharmacy school at the same institution you got your undergrad degree, there could be a problem. When you request undergrad transcripts to be sent, the grad grades may be attached. At my university this is the case. Whenever, I request my undergrad transcripts to be sent out, my grad grades are always sent out with it. All work done at the university is sent out. I attended the same university for undergrad and grad.