Dismissed from DVM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarjar1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I would greatly appreciate some advice on my current situation.
I just finished my first semester as a veterinary student and found that regardless of my countless hours working at animal hospitals, and believing this was the field for me, realized veterinary medicine is not for me in the end. I re-evaluated what I truly want, and from the beginning my passion from medicine stemmed from human medicine (in particular emergency medicine, as I was an EMT). I changed my direction from pre-med to pre-vet. Ended up getting into 4 vet schools my first try and ended up in my current situation. Because of all of this and because I did not go about leaving the correct way, I failed out and got dismissed. Either way, I would have left the program to pursue an MD degree, but because of how everything worked out I have a dismissal standing in my way of medical school. Does anyone have advice as to my chances of getting accepted despite my situation? Am I obligated to let medical schools know about this or can I not mention veterinary school at all. I was only enrolled for one semester..
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

however I would still consider medical school as possible. You obviously have the grades but you will need copious healthcare experienceia shadowing, volunteeting, or employment to support the stark motivational change and rational for the change. it will be a high hurdle to climb but possible, not probable but possible
I'm glad you are so optimistic. I think that having been dismissed (kicked out) of professional school would be a very, very high hurdle. I wouldn't touch an applicant with such a record when there are so many others to choose from.

Reactions: 9 users
If you take the honesty route and win morally by disclosing your dismissal from professional school, then your chances are only probable after a few years of redemption.

If you can reasonably get away with not reporting professional school enrollment and dismissal, then it would increase your medical school chances from nil to probable.

Though, I think your enrollment at all schools is in some database somewhere and I vaguely remember hearing that at least some medical schools cross-check it to verify your enrollment. Not positive about that, though. Besides the blatant moral violation, it is risky from a game-theory perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOA at my school, UNLESS, you can get get letters from the Dean and faculty on your behalf explaining your situation.

You've got a lot of explaining as to how you're running to Medicine and not away from VM, and also proving that you won't bail on us at a later date.

And yes, you do have to inform us of every college you've matriculated into. Lie on an app and you might as well set it on fire.

Hi everyone
I just finished my first semester as a veterinary student and found that regardless of my countless hours working at animal hospitals, and believing this was the field for me, realized veterinary medicine is not for me in the end. I re-evaluated what I truly want, and from the beginning my passion from medicine stemmed from human medicine (in particular emergency medicine, as I was an EMT). I changed my direction from pre-med to pre-vet. Ended up getting into 4 vet schools my first try and ended up in my current situation. Because of all of this and because I did not go about leaving the correct way, I failed out and got dismissed. Either way, I would have left the program to pursue an MD degree, but because of how everything worked out I have a dismissal standing in my way of medical school. Does anyone have advice as to my chances of getting accepted despite my situation? Am I obligated to let medical schools know about this or can I not mention veterinary school at all. I was only enrolled for one semester..
thank you

Hi everyone
thank you
OP,

I just replied to your thread over on the veterinary boards. Do you really want a career in vet med? From these posts, it appears as though you're ready to bail. From your post in the vet forum, it appears as though you're trying to salvage a veterinary career. Your first order of business is to decide what you want, and then assess whether you have the ability/desire to bring forth the energy and commitment required for success. Without an answer to those two questions, your inquiry is a moot point. Nobody on SDN can tell you what you should do with your life and career- only you can decide that. Jumping from one career to the next is like trying to extinguish the flames on a burning plane that's about to crash. These careers aren't salvage jobs- they take a hell of a lot of effort to ensure success. Decide whether or not you're willing to invest, and then perhaps we'll be able to help you with strategies moving forward. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user