dismissed from pharmacy school looking to reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infectionx24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im on my P2 year of pharmacy school. however, i got dismissed because i failed 3 classes last semester (per my institution's policy, 3 failures in one semester is an automatic dismissal). i was actually doing alright throughout the school year, but i bombed my finals because i had family problems that occurred during finals week. right now i am trying to appeal to get reinstated, but in case i dont, i am also reapplying to other schools at the same time.

unfortunately, my school dont allow you at all to take remedials if youve failed 3 classes in one semester. ive done everything in my power in every possible way i can think of to turn my situation around.

on my pharmcas, how exactly do i explain why i failed on my personal statement?

any other advice about my situation is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
go to pa school. seriously.

go to pa school. seriously.

I agree.. if you maxed out on the number of allowable failures walk away gracefully. I seriously doubt another school will touch you although your current school may have a remediation policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quit pharmacy. It's no longer worth 4 yrs of debt. Go to PA school.

Reactions: 2 users
GTFO.png

....while you can

Reactions: 1 users
See what the academic committee or whoever is in charge of remediation and whatnot says. I'm sure the school doesn't want to lose your tuition.

This. If you have a legitimate excuse for poor performance during finals, and you don't have any other red flags on your profile, you should be able to appeal to a credentials committee or similar body of people at your school.

As far as applying elsewhere: I personally would choose non-PharmCAS schools so that you have a better chance of creating a unique application where you can state your case than you would in the cookie cutter that is PharmCAS.

This. If you have a legitimate excuse for poor performance during finals, and you don't have any other red flags on your profile, you should be able to appeal to a credentials committee or similar body of people at your school.

As far as applying elsewhere: I personally would choose non-PharmCAS schools so that you have a better chance of creating a unique application where you can state your case than you would in the cookie cutter that is PharmCAS.

I agree. My school does whatever it can to hold on to students. I've heard the same from students at other schools. You should talk to your school ASAP.

I agree. My school does whatever it can to hold on to students. I've heard the same from students at other schools. You should talk to your school ASAP.
i have already appealed to my school and they havent granted me a hearing yet. with the politics going inside my school right now, im not really sure if i will get re-instated thats why i am reapplying through pharmcas as a back up

i have already appealed to my school and they havent granted me a hearing yet. with the politics going inside my school right now, im not really sure if i will get re-instated thats why i am reapplying through pharmcas as a back up

If you have had/maintained a good, professional relationship with your professors (or any of the school's officials), this is one of the many times it should pay off.

Although, out of curiosity, could you not have requested some sort of grace period to retake your finals when you realized "family problems" will cause you to fail them?

If you have had/maintained a good, professional relationship with your professors (or any of the school's officials), this is one of the many times it should pay off.

Although, out of curiosity, could you not have requested some sort of grace period to retake your finals when you realized "family problems" will cause you to fail them?

actually, i really didnt know if the grace period was an option. i didnt really need to score high on my finals just to barely pass the class, so i took the risk. as it turns out, my outcome was completely unexpected.

Quit pharmacy. It's no longer worth 4 yrs of debt. Go to PA school.

Sorry to hear your school gave you the boot.... But +1, above.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you switch out of dental?

I did. The job isn't really for me, but for those that don't mind the work it's one of the best jobs in terms of salary, demand, and flexibility. Much better than pharmacy or any other healthcare fields.

I have heard of a dismissed pharmacy student getting accepted into another pharmacy program in real life, but it took a few years.

And if you do a search online, you will find that dismissed students had to finish up their BS degree or get their Masters before successfully re-entering into another pharmacy program.

You should do what you can to stay in the Pharmacy program that you're in now. If you're unsuccessful, then getting into another program will be an uphill battle. Your academic reputation is tarnished, so other Pharmacy schools will be uneasy about taking you in. You may need some rigorous coursework to show the other Pharmacy schools that you've overcome whatever it was that kept you from succeeding academically at your previous Pharmacy school ...and this may take some time.

Last edited:
How would pharmacy schools know you were in a previous pharmacy program and got dismissed ? Pharmcas deletes applicants profiles after a year.

How would pharmacy schools know you were in a previous pharmacy program and got dismissed ? Pharmcas deletes applicants profiles after a year.

Because the application will require you to list all other schools you've studied at, and if you omit some, that will get you in much bigger trouble for lying if you are found out.

im on my P2 year of pharmacy school. however, i got dismissed because i failed 3 classes last semester (per my institution's policy, 3 failures in one semester is an automatic dismissal). i was actually doing alright throughout the school year, but i bombed my finals because i had family problems that occurred during finals week. right now i am trying to appeal to get reinstated, but in case i dont, i am also reapplying to other schools at the same time.

unfortunately, my school dont allow you at all to take remedials if youve failed 3 classes in one semester. ive done everything in my power in every possible way i can think of to turn my situation around.

on my pharmcas, how exactly do i explain why i failed on my personal statement?

any other advice about my situation is greatly appreciated
I have been dismissed from 2 thats right 2 pharmacy schools. But have also been given admittance to a third pharmacy school. The first was academics. I had a B- average, that is right no D or F. School policy was to kick me out and I couldn't fight it. Second time I had a family emergency. Was dismissed and discriminated for that. During my application to PharmCas I explained my side of the situation. Granted academically I had a GPA of 3.4 and somehow had to explain why I was dismissed for academics. It was rather fun. Long story short. You can still go to another pharmacy school.

I have been dismissed from 2 thats right 2 pharmacy schools. But have also been given admittance to a third pharmacy school.

Yikes. Ever consider that the universe was trying to send you a sign?

Reactions: 5 users
I was dismissed from pharmacy school after my P3 year and now I am declaring bankruptcy. If you have a significant amount of debt and don't land something else, I would recommend it.

I was dismissed from pharmacy school after my P3 year and now I am declaring bankruptcy. If you have a significant amount of debt and don't land something else, I would recommend it.

Isn't student loan debt the only kind of debt that can't be discharged in bankruptcy?

Isn't student loan debt the only kind of debt that can't be discharged in bankruptcy?

That is a comman misconception, but if you can pass the brunner test aka 1. You can't pay your loans 2. You financial estate isn't likely to improve. 3. You made good faith payments, then you can get them discharged. Half of all people who declare bankruptcy get some relief, many get there loans completely wipe out. It isn't easier or cheap but doable. I predict as the student debt bubble grows more and more students will do it.

That is a comman misconception, but if you can pass the brunner test aka 1. You can't pay your loans 2. You financial estate isn't likely to improve. 3. You made good faith payments, then you can get them discharged. Half of all people who declare bankruptcy get some relief, many get there loans completely wipe out. It isn't easier or cheap but doable. I predict as the student debt bubble grows more and more students will do it.

Thanks for the info. Would someone who still lives at home with their family and who has basically no possessions to their name aside from a car be likely to have their loans discharged via bankruptcy? Or would they come after the car, even if it's the person's only "large scale" possession?

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but how does the bankruptcy status affect your ability to get student loans in the future? I'm guessing future federal loans are out?

On the topic of the future (and if you don't mind me asking), what are your future plans in terms of school/career? Just curious

Thanks for the info. Would someone who still lives at home with their family and who has basically no possessions to their name aside from a car be likely to have their loans discharged via bankruptcy? Or would they come after the car, even if it's the person's only "large scale" possession?

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but how does the bankruptcy status affect your ability to get student loans in the future? I'm guessing future federal loans are out?

On the topic of the future (and if you don't mind me asking), what are your future plans in terms of school/career? Just curious

You might well be a candidate for bankruptcy, I don't have any possessions that one wouldn't typically find in an average college dorm room. In my state, you can have up $9,500 worth of stuff. You will not be able to get any loans from anyone for at least 7 to 10 years. Your college career would essentially be finished.

I was dismissed from my school when I was one course away from my P4 year. I was dismissed illegally for a reason I will not go into here. I reapplied several times and have been told that I will not get back in. I was able to get a bachelor's degree in an unrelated major. For me, I am out of pharmacy entirely and finished with school for a long time., I will never complete my PharmD and thus never a pharmacist. I am in the process of getting about 190k discharged in student loans, after that I will go wherever the wind takes me.

You might well be a candidate for bankruptcy, I don't have any possessions that one wouldn't typically find in an average college dorm room. In my state, you can have up $9,500 worth of stuff. You will not be able to get any loans from anyone for at least 7 to 10 years. Your college career would essentially be finished.

I was dismissed from my school when I was one course away from my P4 year. I was dismissed illegally for a reason I will not go into here. I reapplied several times and have been told that I will not get back in. I was able to get a bachelor's degree in an unrelated major. For me, I am out of pharmacy entirely and finished with school for a long time., I will never complete my PharmD and thus never a pharmacist. I am in the process of getting about 190k discharged in student loans, after that I will go wherever the wind takes me.

Good luck in the future. I guess that someone who has had their student loans discharged through bankruptcy could still go to graduate school if they were able to pay off the tuition as they went along. I heard that some schools will allow students to pay off their tuition via monthly payment plans, but I guess even that could be difficult to manage depending on what program someone is enrolled in (for example, as a medical student, it would probably be difficult to find the time to work enough hours every month to afford monthly payments). At that point, the only realistic option would be to complete an associate's-level program that costs <$5000. Did you pay for your bachelor's degree as you went along?

It can be done, but I wonder how much someone is going to pay a lawyer to get it done.

Also, DrVader is that borderline delusional guy that sued/ is suing his former school & ACPE, so take everything they say with a grain of salt.

It can be done, but I wonder how much someone is going to pay a lawyer to get it done.

Also, DrVader is that borderline delusional guy that sued/ is suing his former school & ACPE, so take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Oh that guy. What is this, his 5th account? How do you know it's him?

I might be wrong. I remember the Vader part in another username

I am not suing my school or the ACPE. To answer your question, it cost about 8k to 9k for the bankruptcy and adversay proceeding.

Good luck in the future. I guess that someone who has had their student loans discharged through bankruptcy could still go to graduate school if they were able to pay off the tuition as they went along. I heard that some schools will allow students to pay off their tuition via monthly payment plans, but I guess even that could be difficult to manage depending on what program someone is enrolled in (for example, as a medical student, it would probably be difficult to find the time to work enough hours every month to afford monthly payments). At that point, the only realistic option would be to complete an associate's-level program that costs <$5000. Did you pay for your bachelor's degree as you went along?

I am really done with school for a while unless a company wants to pay for my schooling. I got the bachelor's degree while trying to reapply to my pharmacy school. Now that I will not get back in I will discharge my loans through bankruptcy.

I am really done with school for a while unless a company wants to pay for my schooling. I got the bachelor's degree while trying to reapply to my pharmacy school. Now that I will not get back in I will discharge my loans through bankruptcy.

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I just figured that your outlook on the situation would be similar to mine, in the sense that in my case, if I don't get some kind of additional degree, I won't really have much of a professional future. I would just have to get a standard retail job and hope it leads to somewhere (not that this is necessarily a bad path to take if someone is comfortable with it).

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I just figured that your outlook on the situation would be similar to mine, in the sense that in my case, if I don't get some kind of additional degree, I won't really have much of a professional future. I would just have to get a standard retail job and hope it leads to somewhere (not that this is necessarily a bad path to take if someone is comfortable with it).

You can always get a bachelor degree and then declare ch 13 bankruptcy. But for me there was no chance of getting back into pharmacy and after 6 years of school I am kinda done with it. I want to move on with my life. My potential income went from 120k to 30 to 40k and that is with 190k in loans. If you are done with school, consider bankruptcy. But if you at all plan to get another degree, then you shouldn't declare bankruptcy.

Interesting topics. So I have declared bankruptcy and have had $207,000 of my student loans discharged through a TPD discharge application. From my experience, only debts such as credit cards, car or house loans, etc are eligible for bankruptcy. Going through my bankruptcy everything was removed except my student loans. It cost me $1,000 to pay a lawyer and dismiss over $80,000 of debt. Then I had a medical doctor sign a TPD discharge form that states your student loans can be dismissed if you are disabled for more than 6 months. This can stem from being dismissed from pharmacy school and facing depression. How are you suppose to pay back over $207,000 is student loans? That is enough to cause depression and a disability which is covered by the TPD discharge form. The doctor has to also have no idea when you will get better or if you will get better. Once that is done they make a decision and in my case they granted my dismissal of my graduate student loans and my undergraduate loans. I was only seeking my graduate loans but it is an all or none application so I had my undergraduate loans also being dismissed. Recently I got approval for $192,000 in tuition for a four year pharmacy program. Once your TPD discharge is granted YOU CANNOT receive any more student loans. So if you decide that route then be aware if you wish to return to school student loans are out of the picture. I was able to secure scholarships and am in a much better financial situation then before. The universe was trying to tell me something. Do not give up on your passion. God is in control he always has been.

Interesting topics. So I have declared bankruptcy and have had $207,000 of my student loans discharged through a TPD discharge application. From my experience, only debts such as credit cards, car or house loans, etc are eligible for bankruptcy. Going through my bankruptcy everything was removed except my student loans. It cost me $1,000 to pay a lawyer and dismiss over $80,000 of debt. Then I had a medical doctor sign a TPD discharge form that states your student loans can be dismissed if you are disabled for more than 6 months. This can stem from being dismissed from pharmacy school and facing depression. How are you suppose to pay back over $207,000 is student loans? That is enough to cause depression and a disability which is covered by the TPD discharge form. The doctor has to also have no idea when you will get better or if you will get better. Once that is done they make a decision and in my case they granted my dismissal of my graduate student loans and my undergraduate loans. I was only seeking my graduate loans but it is an all or none application so I had my undergraduate loans also being dismissed. Recently I got approval for $192,000 in tuition for a four year pharmacy program. Once your TPD discharge is granted YOU CANNOT receive any more student loans. So if you decide that route then be aware if you wish to return to school student loans are out of the picture. I was able to secure scholarships and am in a much better financial situation then before. The universe was trying to tell me something. Do not give up on your passion. God is in control he always has been.

Students loans are not automatically dismissed through bankruptcy, you have to filled an adversity proceeding which is separate to the bankruptcy. If you didn't do that, then they wouldn't.

Man. I remember there was this guy in my school who spent 6 years graduating but he made it. I can't believe you struck out in one blow. 3 courses failed in one semester simply seems impossible but I guess it happens.

Man. I remember there was this guy in my school who spent 6 years graduating but he made it. I can't believe you struck out in one blow. 3 courses failed in one semester simply seems impossible but I guess it happens.

My dad passed away during finals week and it took A LOT for me to be able to concentrate/study after I delayed my finals to attend his funeral. My grandmother (she raised me so shes pretty much my mom) also passed away during finals week a year later and I had to do the same thing all over again. I could have easily failed both years, but I kind of used their deaths as motivation and somehow managed to well both times. But everyone deals with loss differently so I can totally understand how someone can bomb 3 finals due to loss in the family. It almost happened to me.