disorders of menstruation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DancingFajitas

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm really confused about amenorrhea, oligomenorrhea and menorrhagia--what will the patient present with and how do you work it up and treat each one? Thanks!
 
i'm a GP, but here goes: amenorrhea-no menses; oligo-few menses, missed periods, etc; menorrhagia-excessive bleeding (heavy flow); therapy?, let me think some more
 
OK, I thought a little and I looked it up in a book; primary amenorrhea-never had a period (think too young, genetic disorder,...); secondary amen.-pregnancy (#1 cause), thin athlete syndrome, stress, eating disorder, polycystic ovaries, uncontrolled endocrine disorder, drugs,...)

work-up: preg test, pelvic US, FSH, ...

this is a real complicated subject; thanks for the question, though, since I needed to review the subject; I work in an all male facility: state prison!