Dissertation question: I have an issue with a measure post-proposal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychpro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have proposed my dissertation, and I submitted for IRB approval and was approved. However, I noticed a few errors relating to my measures as I was uploading to qualtrics. One is minor, and involves an edit which I was gonna do with an addendum. The other was that I uploaded the wrong scale. I was initially supposed to use scale A but was pressured to change it by committee at the last minute. I did the research on scale B but figured I would locate the scale later. When I was completing my IRB I uploaded scale A. I noticed my error in moving to qualtrics, and went to search for scale B. The problem is I was unable to locate the scale online. I reached out to the developers who informed me they are unable to provide the scale via an online format, and can only provide it in paper format. I am at a loss at what to do? Has anyone ever run into this? Any tips on how to proceed? How should I address this with my adviser?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not quite sure what your question is. Are you asking whether it's OK to administer online an instrument that was originally developed to be administered with pen and paper? That would depend on the instrument in question. I recommend that you consult your advisor for guidance.

I agree, depends on the scale. Otherwise you'll have to administer it p&p to participants, and of course do an IRB addendum. If the committee specifically made you change the scale, it seems pretty important and your defense might be problematic without that data. Definitely alert your adviser, as uncomfortable as that might be, because it'll be more than uncomfortable later.