Distance Education Course for Microbiology

Started by Ben and Me
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ben and Me

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I'm a semi-non traditional student, trying to finish up a few pre-requisite courses post-graduation. I'm going back home to my state school to finish these up, since it's a school with a CVM and because it'll be a lot cheaper!

Because I'll be enrolling with the other non-full time students (I only need 1-2 classes a semester), I don't get to register for fall term until the beginning of August--and the class that I need to take fall term (Microbiology) is already full! Obviously I'll attend the first day of class, beg the professor, etc, but what if that doesn't work?

There are still spots available for the Distance Education version, and since I'll be in the same town, I'll still be able to do the lab portion in real life (there are still spots in the lab open).

I remember reading on one CVM pre-req site that they don't accept DE courses (can't remember which one--maybe UF?). I know that my IS school does, but does anyone know of any other schools that won't accept DE courses, just in case?
 
Being as that this is one of the major pre-reqs I would NOT take it online. A lot of schools will not accept DL for pre-reqs. It might have been fine if it were an english course or humanities or something of that nature; but as a major pre-req you should do everything in your power to get into the live class.
 
Micro was one of my favorite courses. And I can't imagine taking it without the lab.

I vote you email/call the prof now, explain the situation, and see what happens.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
microbiology is heavy on lab work and practical stuffs, its quite fun playing with germs and growing them on agar...psuedomonas smells so nice..
 
Does anyone know which schools don't accept online classes? I have to take two (animal nutrition and intro to animal science) online because my college didn't offer either of them.
 
I already emailed the professor--not very helpful--told me I could take it over the summer since they don't check the Organic pre-req for summer students...But just because they don't check doesn't mean I won't need it! (I'm taking Organic in summer school, so I'd be enrolled in Organic I and Micro at the same time). Plus there aren't any lab spots left for summer school, so that's out.

Looks like some spots have opened up for fall--hopefully more will by August.

Even if I took the classroom portion online, there are still spots in the lab for "in real life," so I wouldn't miss out on anything that smells like grape Dimetapp. 😉

Anyway, just trying to get a feel for the "worst case scenario"! If worst comes to worst, I can try to get into it for Spring Semester...though I'd prefer to take it in the fall!
 
Does anyone know which schools don't accept online classes? I have to take two (animal nutrition and intro to animal science) online because my college didn't offer either of them.

From what I've heard, these are rarely an issue because they're commonly not offered at many schools. Do you know where you'd like to go? Try and take the online version from that school. OKSU has both online, I think, and UGA/UF might as well. Where else requires these courses, anyway? I thought nutrition was a standard pre-req for a while, but not so much.
 
From what I've heard, these are rarely an issue because they're commonly not offered at many schools. Do you know where you'd like to go? Try and take the online version from that school. OKSU has both online, I think, and UGA/UF might as well. Where else requires these courses, anyway? I thought nutrition was a standard pre-req for a while, but not so much.


Texas A&M and Oregon require animal nutrition and Western will take animal or regular (I figure I might as kill two birds with one stone). As far as I know, the only school I'm looking at that wants animal science is Texas A&M and I also need physio for Davis. Oh goodness, I'm in for a ride with all these classes. I think I'll have taken every pre-req in existence at that point! Then again, I don't even know if I should sign up for them yet considering I could very well get rejected by all of them early next cycle. 😱
 
Well, OKSU's animal nutrition course is offered online and has gotten good feedback on here. If TAMU and ORSU will take it, I'd go with that.

As for animal science, that's weird. I took Intro to AnSci my freshman year because I *was* an animal science major. Then I switched to Zoology. Meat & Carcass Eval, no thx. Not my style. No offense to those who choose this path - it's definitely a legitimate one.

Hmm... I think the web page that would usually work for the distance learning courses is kinda broken. I think the UF and UGA threads have some info in them about the course, maybe you should check there and ask someone who took it online how they went about it. I took it in real life, so I'm not much help. 🙂
 
Clackamas Community College In Oregon Has A Distance Micro Course. You Send In A Deposit In Addition To Tuition And They Send All The Slides, Etc To Your Home. When You Return Them You Get Your Deposit Back.
 
Clackamas Community College In Oregon Has A Distance Micro Course. You Send In A Deposit In Addition To Tuition And They Send All The Slides, Etc To Your Home. When You Return Them You Get Your Deposit Back.

Thanks for the info, but I'd be careful about taking Micro at a community college, because I think schools that require it might want an upper division course. I could be wrong, but I know that at my undergrad if you took Micro at a community college you had to retake it again to get credit for it in my major because it was kind of a different course.