Distance Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelseyjosine21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just had a quick question. I live in ND, right on the border of MN. I'm thinking of getting my MSW from Univ of MN in the Twin Cities and they have a distance program so that I can get it from Univ of MN in Moorhead which is right across the border. It said that they do some of the classes through interactive television so that we can interact w/the class going on there, and then some of the classes will be just regular classes. Does this matter at all? And I think that for the distance option that I can only do my the weekend option, so I'll have class on Friday until 8pm and then all day Saturday. Will this affect how employers feel about me? Or doesn't it matter. I guess it sort of works out better that way for me because I can work full time during the week then and not have to move or anything like that. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anyone will care, as long as you have the degree from an accredited program. Will the diploma say UMN- TC? My state does something similar for people who are from more rural areas- the primary state university has contracted adjunct faculty to teach the classes at a local, smaller state university, but the diploma says "big state U" on it. They use a combination of on-site faculty, online courses, and interactive TV with faculty from the main program. The students still have the same practicum requirements as everyone else.

Perhaps not what I consider the most ideal way to do a program, but definitely better than something that's 100% online and good for those people who are in more rural areas, are already practicing in the field, and cannot move due to family/financial obligations. A close friend of mine did his through our state's program and he's one of the best clinicians I know.

Ok I've looked at three different MSW programs that are closest to me, and all of them have it where classes are either on the weekend or on Thursday and Friday. Is this like a common thing is it just the area I'm from lol. I've never heard of this happening so much so I figured I'd ask. I mean it works better for me but still seems a little odd.

I would think it is fairly common, especially in metro areas or areas that have a high standard of living where it is hard / nearly impossible to not work full time. I live in the NYC metro area and I know of several psychology M.A. and Doctoral programs that are exclusive at night two days per week (as well as some weekend classes). As a matter of fact I teach in an MA program where all classes are in the evening.