Distance Learning - Organic Chemistry I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supposedlyfun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disregard

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on distance learning courses. This Fall my university is offering three sections of Orgo I, two of them fit in my schedule, one is a standard lecture, the other is a distance learning section. Neither section has a great professor. The lab at my school is a separate 2 credit course, so I would be getting the hands-on lab part.

I'm curious on your thoughts, I've heard some things like "medical schools don't accept distance courses, especially for prereqs", is that true? Personally I think I would be better off with the distance learning because with bad professors I end up having to learn it on my own, so why waste the time sitting in lecture and learning nothing?
It depends on the school. Most schools frown upon distance learning in general. However, for Orgo? You're required to have an associated lab, too. I'd wait to take it in a brick and mortar classroom. But if you're dead set, I'd definitely call some schools to ensure they'll take it. The last thing you want is to apply and find out you need to retake that course during the summer before you matriculate.

FWIW, OHSU's school of medicine is requiring me to take genetics this summer before I matriculate this August. They said online is okay. They don't require a lab. I used UC Berkley's online program.

So as far as schools not liking to see distance learning, that is true. The caveat is wether or not your school will actually note on your transcript that it was a distance Ed course. My school didn't note wether or not a course was distance Ed. My professor taught from powerpoints and administered exams from computers so that whether or not you took the course online or in person u had to go to a proctored computer center on campus to take the exam. I took org 1 with her in person and orgo 2 online and they were pretty comparable in terms of how beneficial lecture was. The added plus was the flexibility the online class afforded me. Check with your school and see if they will put it on your transcript or not. If they don't then I'd say go ahead and try the online course.

Members don't see this ad :)
So as far as schools not liking to see distance learning, that is true. The caveat is wether or not your school will actually note on your transcript that it was a distance Ed course. My school didn't note wether or not a course was distance Ed. My professor taught from powerpoints and administered exams from computers so that whether or not you took the course online or in person u had to go to a proctored computer center on campus to take the exam. I took org 1 with her in person and orgo 2 online and they were pretty comparable in terms of how beneficial lecture was. The added plus was the flexibility the online class afforded me. Check with your school and see if they will put it on your transcript or not. If they don't then I'd say go ahead and try the online course.
Great addition to the convo, thank you. I had no idea some schools didn't differentiate online from brick and mortar.

Thanks for the advice, I checked with my school and they said that they don't note whether or not the course was a distance learning course on the transcript.

I'm curious on anyone else's thoughts, on distance learning courses in general.

I think it depends greatly on the individual, the main question being are you dedicated and organized enough to keep on schedule on your own? It's very easy to have a busy week and forget an assignment or forget about the upcoming exam. Personally I find online classes easier and more efficient since I generally don't get a lot out of lecture other than frantically copying down notes so if I have the powerpoint it's more efficient to study on my own. Also all the ones I have taken gave me a date range during which to take the exams, so I felt less stressed about them as I could take them when I wanted to depending on my schedule that week. ymmv

If this is true you'll be safe but make sure that you know where you are applying to. I've read many times on schools websites that the pre-reqs for med are not allowed to be taken online. Other classes they don't care about, but the sciences they do.

What matters is if the school notes it on your transcript. Med schools are hesitant because sometimes online courses are "easier" for whatever reason but at my school at least the in lecture course and online course are identical. Only difference is the mode of delivery.

Yeah, but med schools don't know that. Sometimes CC classes are harder than at the Uni., the med school doesn't know that. So how it appears on his transcipts will matter. I'm saying that OP's should be safe about it. Make sure it's not noted in any way.

My school offers the Calculus for life sciences under the regular calculus and only allows pre-med, vet, etc to sign up for it. Uni or med school will never know. I'm just insisting that the OP makes sure depending on what school they are planning on applying to.

Well said