1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

"Distinguishable characteristics?"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by swtiepie711, Jul 31, 2006.

1. swtiepie711

swtiepie711 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Northwestern's secondary has a question about one's "distinguishable characteristics (non-academic)." At first glance, I thought this was a "what will you add to our school question," but now I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "distinguishable characteristic." Does anyone have a clue if they literally mean characteristics (like, communication skills) or they are asking for something else?

::Confused:: though maybe it's because I rolled out of bed at 7 AM to work on this (now 7:15 AM - still confused, maybe a wee bit groggy - headed downstairs for coffee)....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you could take this in a number of directions (as I did). I talked about my rural upbringing and the unique perspective it offers, about my interpersonal skills, the way I compartmentalize my thoughts so as to not be distracted by one thing as I'm doing another, and my utter lack of a sleep schedule and need for very little sleep in general (to get me through residency and those on-call nights without wearing myself out). None of these things probably seem like too much, but if you do a good job to relate it to medicine and how it will help you, I think you'll be fine. (Besides, you still have two other essays to prove yourself to them.)

4. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a huge birthmark all over my body.
    Oh, wait. No. Sorry.

5. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've seen that on people before.

6. GWmdwannabe

GWmdwannabe Member
    5+ Year Member

Did anyone else read this title and think of the Starr Report?

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that this is a very good secondary question.

The best thing to do is to think about anything unique you do (probably quirky stuff) without going overboard. A good example would be collecting coins. However, you have to spin it so that it seems to have an actual impact on the class. Using the coin example, talk about how it taught you organization, history, the thought process and reasons for changing etc. and how this could add to the class.

Remember not to be too generic (ie: I'm in the pre-med club) or too "special" (ie: I refuse to cut my toe-nails until the year 2020).
    -Dr. P.