Disturbing Interview at GW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbaubdi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at GW in September and my faculty interviewer made some comments that were extremely disturbing.

I don't remember how this happened, but somehow we started talking about religion and politics. We started discussing the middle east, and then he started taking shots at Islam and said that the Koran is an incredibly violent book. I said that all religious books contain passages that adherents would not be proud of, yet I did not press this issue any further.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance to GW soon and I was wondering if I should mention this in my withdrawal letter. I think that an interviewer with these types of views may not be able to evaluate a Muslim applicant fairly.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, write the dean a letter, what took you so long?

GW is pretty low on my list... and now its even lower.

Where do people like this come from?

Have you considered the possibility that this is an interview technique? Maybe he wants to see if you have the balls to standup for what you think is right, rather than just going with whatever he says despite your personal objections.

Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is actually funny that you mention an interviewer that talked about Isalm during your GW interview. A good friend of mine is a MS-I there and she was telling me about one of her friends that interviewed at GW last year (and decided to matriculate) who had a werid interview. She was also pressured about her religion (she was Muslim) and why she was not more traditional, etc. So it may be worth addressing to the dean some of the remarks this particular interviewer said because it seems like he was not only saying them to you, but to other candidates during other years.

Originally posted by Cerberus
it is a pretty violent book is it not?
At times it is. The Koran, several times, says that Muslims should kill Christians and Jews. Some verses state this saying if you kill a Christian or Jew you will go to heaven.

"O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and Christians for friends"

"The resurrection of the dead will not come until the Muslims will war with the Jews and the Muslims will kill them; ... the trees and rocks will say, "O Muslim, O Abdullah, here is a Jew behind me, come and kill him.""

"The most vehement of mankind in hostility [are] the Jews and the idolators."

Originally posted by Slickness
At times it is. The Koran, several times, says that Muslims should kill Christians. Some verses state this saying if you kill a Christian you will go to heaven. Perhaps this is why your interviewer said this.

WTF are you talking about? That could be further from the truth. I'm muslim and I've never come across such a passage. Get your facts straight. Also, the Koran doesn't condone violence.

i have never read the koran but I took a class on the Old Testament and damn!!!! Some of that shiz is crazy:(:( Much violence!

nooooooooooooooo you got it wrong. It doesn't tell to kill christians. It tells to kill if a country invades you, so you have the right to kill those invaders. Also to clarify stuff, What osama did was wrong cause those people were innocent and had nothing to do with politics or had influence on the arab country. He more like read the Koran and saw the word kill to go to heaven and didn't finish the sentence and he just went on and said i am carrying god's words. Thats just my comments

Hi, All

It is very weird that a school as supposedly diverse as GW is producing such interview stories. I certainly encountered nothing of the sort when I interviewed there. As for Islam, I took an Islamic Studies class to fulfill a cultural requirement and we read a lot of Koranic excerpts. It didn't strike me as any more fire and brimstone than the New Testament or other religious texts but that's just my 0.02. As for these evil terrorists that have to be hunted down, I don't think they represent Islam any more than David Koresh represented Christianity. Again: just my 0.02.

Another weird thing is that I met some Islamic med students at GW and they seemed to really like it there. Very weird.

theprizefighter

I edited my post above. The quotes are from the Koran.

"Ignominy shall be their portion [the Jews'] wheresoever they are found... They have incurred anger from their Lord, and wretchedness is laid upon them... because they disbelieve the revelations of Allah and slew the Prophets wrongfully... because they were rebellious and used to transgress"

"Fight against such of those [Jews and Christians] ... until they pay for the tribute readily, being brought low"

Those are other ones. I have nothing against Muslims as I do believe that Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in the same God. I don't know why they would put those quotes in there.

bigbaudi, I think I was at GW the same day you were. Early September?

Members don't see this ad :)
religious texts are all very subjective readings. Many people read a religious text and find enlightenment while others read it to fuel their hatred. I doubt this changes much from religion to religion (at least not the big 3). I am sure, the koran is no more violent than the OT.

I edited my post above. The quotes are from the Koran.

"Ignominy shall be their portion [the Jews'] wheresoever they are found... They have incurred anger from their Lord, and wretchedness is laid upon them... because they disbelieve the revelations of Allah and slew the Prophets wrongfully... because they were rebellious and used to transgress"

"Fight against such of those [Jews and Christians] ... until they pay for the tribute readily, being brought low"

Those are other ones. I have nothing against Muslims as I do believe that Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in the same God. I don't know why they would put those quotes in there.

Well, see you gota finish it up. It may be talking about a story that happend, you can't just pick a line in their and say it says hatred, that is basically what oSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAMA did.:wow:

Originally posted by exmike
are you muslim?

Nope, I'm Hindu.

I do NOT want this to turn into an argument about the Koran. My response to him was that all religious texts contain violent passages that believers would not be proud of. Then he told me that I should read the Koran and then make up my mind. He smiled and that was the end of the interview.

From what I understand, there are many parts of the Koran that are beautiful and I think it is unfair to say that Islam is somehow inherently violent or something.

Slickness,

Where are you citing these verses from? I haven't seen one specific reference in any of your posts. What chapters and verses are you getting these quotes from? What translation are you getting them from? If you are getting it from an English traslation that will be very problematice since very few accurate English translations of the Koran exist. Unless you can read in ancient Arabic or possess the English translation by Muhammad Asad (Brit journalist who spent 15 years living in Saudi Arabia and learning Arabic), I am very skeptical about the quality and integrity of your quotes.

theprizefighter

TheFlash, I was there September 12 (I think it was a Friday).

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
Nope, I'm Hindu.

I do NOT want this to turn into an argument about the Koran. My response to him was that all religious texts contain violent passages that believers would not be proud of. Then he told me that I should read the Koran and then make up my mind. He smiled and that was the end of the interview.

From what I understand, there are many parts of the Koran that are beautiful and I think it is unfair to say that Islam is somehow inherently violent or something.

that really doesnt seem too out of bounds to me.

As for all the impending Islam bashing that I can forsee coming up, just remember that the Crusades killed more people than jihad ever did. No religion is devoid of violent fringe groups.

Originally posted by theprizefighter
Slickness,

Where are you citing these verses from? I haven't seen one specific reference in any of your posts. What chapters and verses are you getting these quotes from? What translation are you getting them from? If you are getting it from an English traslation that will be very problematice since very few accurate English translations of the Koran exist. Unless you can read in ancient Arabic or possess the English translation by Muhammad Asad (Brit journalist who spent 15 years living in Saudi Arabia and learning Arabic), I am very skeptical about the quality and integrity of your quotes.

theprizefighter
Ok let me post some quotes with verses.

Verse 66:9 - "Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites, and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate."

Verse 5:17 - "Unbelievers are those who declare: 'God is the Messiah, the son of Mary.'"

verse 5:51 - "Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another."

verse 5:73 - "Unbelievers are those that say: 'God is one of three.'"

Verse 4:101 - "The unbelievers are your inveterate foe."

Verse 49:15 "The true believers are those that have faith in Allah and His apostle, and never doubt; and who fight with their wealth and with their persons in the cause of Allah. Such are those whose faith is true."

I got these verses that are from the Koran from the link

http://www.hauns.com/~DCQu4E5g/koran2.html

I think that this is what the strict finactic muslims follow like Osama Bin Laden.

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
TheFlash, I was there September 12 (I think it was a Friday).

:laugh: Me too. If you can recall, I was the guy that walked in five minutes late while the admissions officer was giving his spiel about GW.

Verse 66:9 - "Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites, and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate."

Verse 5:17 - "Unbelievers are those who declare: 'God is the Messiah, the son of Mary.'"

verse 5:51 - "Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another."

Verse 49:15 "The true believers are those that have faith in Allah and His apostle, and never doubt; and who fight with their wealth and with their persons in the cause of Allah. Such are those whose faith is true."

I think that this is what the strict finactic muslims follow like Osama Bin Laden.

For verus 5:51, it doesn't mean that you can't be freinds with them. You just can't more like marry stuff like that

1. These versus are taken out of context + the translation is mostly incorrect.
2. They are from a site who obviously is biased.

Originally posted by Sherif
For verus 5:51, it doesn't mean that you can't be freinds with them. You just can't more like marry stuff like that
I guess.

I would just like to add that I am not prejudiced towards Muslims. The OP was thinking about writing about the interviewer in his withdrawal talking about how he said the book is violent.

I think the OP should have all the facts. One could, as the interviewer did, interpret the quotes as being violent. I'm not sure how to interpret it as it may have been in the context of the situation in the Koran. Also, I am sure there are plenty of verses that are good. It's just that these stand out.

I hope this doesn't become an anti-Islam thread as that wasn't my intention when posting the quotes. I apologize if it seemed like that.

That website is bunk. I'm not a Muslim, but I can certainly tell you that he is slanting things to put Muslims in the worst possible light.

I'm curious though... I wonder where he got that info on Muhammad in the "Who?" section at the end of the web page? It seems like he's just blowing as much hot air as possible from his arse.

bigbaudi,

i really admire you for taking a stance because i know that a lot of people shy away from attacks on religions/ideologies/beliefs other than their own. i have had similar experiences and alas, it seems that a lot of people need to grow up out there!

nikoo

ya that who section is bogus, it is in there in just doesn't come out and tell you it. like the site says that the koran does not say you shall not rape, lie, or steal but thats falses. It says like you can not have sex until your married, so obviosuly you can't rape and other versus that i don't know but i can find them if you realy want

Last edited:
I give this thread 30 min and its going to heat up and get closed. i can feel it coming:scared:

Slickness,

As I cautioned, were you get your Koranic (acutally Quranic) quotes from is key. You chose to get them from a incredibly inaccurate hate website against Muslims. Not the best way to go if you want to comment on what Muslims are all about. If you want to learn about Islam, read the Koran in the orgininal Arabic or the English Translation by Muhammad Asad. Or take a class that gives you ready access to these and other legitimate resources. Building knowlege from sources of hate will only get you ignorance. Have a nice day.

theprizefighter

Write the Dean a letter, withdraw your acceptance, and transfer it to Clemson Doc. :cool:

I will gladly accept an offer from George Washington.

Originally posted by theprizefighter
Slickness,

As I cautioned, were you get your Koranic (acutally Quranic) quotes from is key. You chose to get them from a incredibly inaccurate hate website against Muslims. Not the best way to go if you want to comment on what Muslims are all about. If you want to learn about Islam, read the Koran in the orgininal Arabic or the English Translation by Muhammad Asad. Or take a class that gives you ready access to these and other legitimate resources. Building knowlege from sources of hate will only get you ignorance. Have a nice day.

theprizefighter
True. So do you think those quotes weren't in the Koran? That is not the only site that says that. I have heard many Christians say that the Koran has anti Christian verses in it. Why would people make that up especially if they quoted it by verse. I am curious to see if those verses are really in the Koran.

they are from the quran but the translation is overexaggerated a whole lot. they take one sentence and just translate it to what they want. its that idea if you see kill all and you don't read the rest your just going to say the quran says to kill everyone but if you keep reading you might find that it says Kill all that Murder others.

I guess.

I would just like to add that I am not prejudiced towards Muslims. The OP was thinking about writing about the interviewer in his withdrawal talking about how he said the book is violent.

I think the OP should have all the facts. One could, as the interviewer did, interpret the quotes as being violent. I'm not sure how to interpret it as it may have been in the context of the situation in the Koran. Also, I am sure there are plenty of verses that are good. It's just that these stand out.

I hope this doesn't become an anti-Islam thread as that wasn't my intention when posting the quotes. I apologize if it seemed like that.

Oh yeah, make up your own mind given these carefully selected and translated quotes... very slick, I salute you. :thumbup:

Never, ever, consider a quote out of context. Leave that to the mainstream media. The quraan is a careful direction meant to guide a small group of desert nomads in building an actual society. Of course there's violence, any independant state needs to use violence to establish itself in hostile areas. The quraan was meant to put limits on that violence and give morals to a people who had no morals. And yes the Quraan does not endorse the trinity. We are not Bahai or anything like that. We have principles of belief just like most religions. However the quotes about the Jews are extremely misleading. The Jews are held in high regard as people of the book. The Jews that draw the ire of the original muslims were a bunch of tribes in Medina that broke a treaty. Just like what everyone else said, if you want to make up your mind about a philosophy or a belief system, you have to study more in depth than a evangelical website. I hope that GW interviewer is taking notes.
To the OP, good job not giving in to bigotry. That shows character, I'm sure you will make a fine physician. Take it easy guys and pray for me to get in, no matter what religion you all are. Hey we're all related anyway.

Originally posted by Sherif

Exactly. The Bible says "Do not be yoked with unbelievers." Same concept.

True. So do you think those quotes weren't in the Koran? That is not the only site that says that. I have heard many Christians say that the Koran has anti Christian verses in it. Why would people make that up especially if they quoted it by verse. I am curious to see if those verses are really in the Koran.
Slickness, the best thing for you to do if you are truly curious is to look up these translations yourself via the verse numbers you've quoted.

Respectable translators of the Qur'an include Abdullah Yusuf Ali (whose reads a lot like the King James Bible), Marmaduke Pickthall, and Ahmed Ali. You should be able to find these translations quite easily on the internet.

For future reference, unless you are familiar with the translator, when reading verses from the Qur'an you should always compare two or three translations before you come to any conclusions, and read the passages surrounding the translations to get an idea of what's going on. Also, because of the nature of the Arabic language (I won't get into it here because this post is too long already) any translation will be inherently problematic. Muslims have jealously defended the original Arabic for a millenium and a half for a reason -- issues of translation and "original meaning" can become very contentious.

Congratulations to all of you who have acceptances and good luck to all still waiting. ;)

cheers

Ok so I looked at the actual Qur'an itself which is online. The following link has 3 translations of it in English, of each verse. They are more or less similar to the previous quotes. I will post 2 verses.

YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.
PICKTHAL: O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. They are friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them. Lo! Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk.
SHAKIR: O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

YUSUFALI: O Prophet! Strive hard against the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be firm against them. Their abode is Hell,- an evil refuge (indeed).
PICKTHAL: O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be stern with them. Hell will be their home, a hapless journey's end.
SHAKIR: O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites, and be hard against them; and their abode is hell; and evil is the resort.

So I got it straight from the source this time.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

I would say the meaning is similar but the wording is changed to make it more or less harsh.

WRITE THE DEAN!!!

I've now read the post, "Maybe it was an interview technique," a couple of times related to inappropriate topics during med school interviews. Here's the thing: You cannot ask invasive questions about age, sex, religion, ethnicity or pregnancy in an interview setting. It's illegal. It's not a technique, it's discrimination.

You don't have to be hot headed about it, but contact the dean and discuss the situation.

Freinds could have many diff meanings. it might meen Bf and GF or it might mean that you should not have Jew/Christians freinds cause they can influnce you and divert you away from your religon. Since you are not allowed to Drink Alcohol or eat pork and other stuff but Christians are allowed to drink and eat pork while only jews are allowed to drink but not eat pork. it all depends on the angle you take a stab at it. Another thing is about sex, the quran says that you can not have sex until your married. Now if i have nothing else better to do can't i just marry for one day have sex and have the intent of getting a divorce the next day. Don't you think that would count as not marrying and having sex, its about the angles

You still have to get a good Chunk of the translation to understand, your just picking parts out of context. The quran isn;t meant to be read as each sentence being seperate. Get us at least a paragraph

Originally posted by Cerberus
it is a pretty violent book is it not?

Cerb started all of this, i could have never guessed

I stumbled across this thread because I interviewed at GW in october. I would like to shed some light on this issue and clarify some misunderstandings. First off, I was shocked to hear of the OP's interview experience. True, the interviewer maybe testing the interviewee, but I honestly feel that ethically and morally, out of respect for the interviewee, that it was a wrong debate to have.

I strive daily to live as humbly as possible and steer away from feelings of anger, but when I read some of the comments posted on this thread, I was shocked. There is no way that I can defend the beauty and eloquence of the Qur'an in a posting, but allow me to clarify some misunderstandings. Obviously many people have watched TV specials of how the Qur'an endorces violence and hatred. First off, no one can genuinely understand the linguistics of the Qur'an unless one is fluent in Arabic, primarily classical Arabic. There have been many translations of the Qur'an that are not in parallel with the authentic ones transcribed by scholars. The translations which we saw on TV were not from authentic English versions which the majority of non-Arabic speaking Muslims read. They came from translations mass produced by the Royal Saudi government, a government which in absolutely no way follows an Islamic ethic.

Furthermore, people need to understand that the verses of the Qur'an were revealed in the 6th century, during a time of persecution, oppression, and apartheid for many religious and ethnic groups, including Muslims. When a verse refers to Jews or Christians, it must be taken in historical sense, at events that were unfolding during that specific time. Also, there is a huge misunderstanding that in the english Qur'an versions the word "Jew" is associated with today's mainstream "Jew". This is not true. The Qur'an refers to Jews as the children of Moses. There are many NON-authentic translated versions that refer to any rival of Islam as a Jew or Christian, which is FALSE and WRONG. These translators (NON-AUTHENTIC ONES), associated the term 'Kafir', which means 'disbeliever', with almost anyone who wasn't a Muslim. These are facts that make it apparent how many people are led to misunderstand verses, and claim they condone violence, etc. However, it is simply not the case. The Qur'an in no way states that it is okay to kill Jews or Christians. This is blatently wrong and goes against every tenent for which Islam stands for. Murder, especially of the innocent, is such a horrific sin in Islam because Islam teaches that only God has the power to create life and take it, and any individual that commits such a great sin is assuming they have the power of God. Actually, the absolute greatest sin which anyone can commit in Islam is called 'shirk', which means associating yourself or other 'things' with or as God. To exemplify this even more, many people have heard the surname "Abdul" being used in Muslim names. The reason this is used is because "Abdul" literally means "slave". If an individual has a name that is comparable with God, such as the name "Jabaar" which means "The Mighty", Abdul is used in conjunction out of respect for God, so the name becomes "Abdul Jabaar" or "slave of the Mighty", which means servant of God.

The Qur'an teaches to embrace other cultures and diversity. It teaches to spread love, peace, and sustain harmony within society. Muslims take it as a guideline to live their life by. It gives them a sense of order, direction, hope, and faith.

Islam is a peaceful religion that condemns murder and taking of innocent lives. What bothers me the most is that less than 0.5% of the Muslim population is involved with these violent acts we see today, terrorism, etc. But still, people make that half percent as a model depiction for every Muslim. Islam in no way condones those actions. Peaceful people would not make their daily greeting, "As-Salaamualaikum", which translates to "may peace be with you".

I hope that individuals would not post such harsh comments, such as YES the Qur'an DOES promote violence, hatred, etc. It is indeed a very delicate topic and such comments are disrespectful. However, if one feels the need to post such things, please attain full knowledge and background first. Don't type in a search in google for "koran and violent verses" and click on the first site that comes up. Please, do some thorough research and read authentic versions.

I hope I have not offended anyone, and if I did, I truly apologize. I just wanted to express my opinion on the matter. I am a Muslim and have extensively studied the Qur'an. Never have I ever came across a verse informing me to kill innocent people. My apologies for this lengthy post.

Good luck to all of you in our medical school pursuit. Best wishes, and "As-Salaamualaikum" (may peace be with you).

That was a beautiful post. Thank you.

Yes very nice post. That cleared up many things as it is good to hear the point of view from a Muslim.

UCIgrad, I am curious then about the radical Muslims such as Bin laden and the such. Why is it that their beliefs appear very much different from mainstream Islam?

cause they take apart of a sentence like i have been saying. Kill all and never finish it. THat kind off thing or either they just read the Quran and apply it as it is being written now. So all the jews and Christians comments they obey

Saying it is a "violent book" doesnt neccessarily mean it condones violence. As it has been said, the bible can be considered violent...it is all about the context in which the books were compiled. they are a representation of their times.

What is more to the point is the less described "taking shots at Islam." this would probably be inappropriate and I would like to hear more of the "shots." These shots could be considered grounds for a formal complaint. In fact, schools at which I have interviewed very much encourage any feedback, especially if you were made to feel uncomfortable. Sorry for your bad experience (OP) and I think that was a great post too.

Slickness,

Bin Laden and his cronies are a bunch of small-minded, power hungry maniacs who want to corrupt the legitimate religion of Islam so they can manipulate it to their own ends. These ends involve power, conquest, and oppression. They have nothing to do with religion whatsoever. They may even realize this themselves but they don't care since they are only after power, not truth or justice.

Bin Laden wants everyone to think that all Muslims see Islam like he does. WE AS TRUE MUSLIMS, JEWS, CHRISTIANS, ETC. CANNOT ALLOW THIS. WE MUST RESIST BIN LADEN'S EFFORTS. When I read "hypocrite" in the Quran, I think of Bin Laden. Let's all join together in advancing the fight against this disgusting ignorance and evil.

theprizefighter

"If I met you in a scissor fight/
I'd cut off both your wings/
On principle alone." - Incubus, Megalomaniac

Originally posted by UCIgrad2002
I
The Qur'an teaches to embrace other cultures and diversity. It teaches to spread love, peace, and sustain harmony within society. Muslims take it as a guideline to live their life by. It gives them a sense of order, direction, hope, and faith.

Islam is a peaceful religion that condemns murder and taking of innocent lives. What bothers me the most is that less than 0.5% of the Muslim population is involved with these violent acts we see today, terrorism, etc. But still, people make that half percent as a model depiction for every Muslim. Islam in no way condones those actions. Peaceful people would not make their daily greeting, "As-Salaamualaikum", which translates to "may peace be with you".

hey, i agree w/ alot of what you say, however, i do have to bring up one concern. i don't know what % of muslims are hateful and violent any more than i know what % of Christians are hateful and violent, but I do know that UBL is a widely beloved icon in the arab world. I've seen the rallies on TV, where there are thousands of pple many w/ UBL shirts, posters, signs etc. i find it hard to believe that these thousands of pple are the only muslims who feel that way, especially considering the HUGE market for UBL memorabilia. therefore, while it's true that not all muslims are extremists (maybe even most aren't), it's not an insignificant faction that is. i'd go as far as to say it's a pretty decent amount of pple. i don't know why i felt like posting this, i guess it's just important to be realistic about the scope of the situation, and not to sugar coat it.

EDIT TO ADD: i also realize ubl is hated by many in the arab world too. my point is that there is a % that support him, and it's probably a larger % than would make most of us comfortable. i hope that clarifies my point.