USMLE DIT for USMLE - What % actually use ir ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMLEmahBitch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have a 2 part question:

- What % of people have bought DIT for step 1 ?

- What % of those who bought it actually found it useful ?

I haven't bought it yet but plan on doing so..

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think DIT is great if you have a foundation (which is the case for most of the students posting on here), but if you don't know your basics, your wasting your time.

I think DIT is great if you have a foundation (which is the case for most of the students posting on here), but if you don't know your basics, your wasting your time.

really? you sure its not the opposite? If you have a solid foundation, why not spend your time working more efficiently through print review resources + question banks.

Yeah, a question bank like UWorld is the gold standard of prepping. Doing blocks of questions is the way to assess how well you a) know your content b) able to apply to material to a question. You slowly work your way up from a mediocre % correct to a fantastic % correct. That actual exam is a bunch of multiple choice questions, so thats how you should practice for it. They aren't asking you on what page of FA is "x" diagram on.

Regarding DIT, it's not comprehensive and doesn't teach you the basics. It's a review course, just like the other review books there, which includes FA. That's why if you have a solid foundation, meaning your getting close to passing an NBME without even starting your "final prep", then it will work great because it will refresh your memory for all the topics you have studied before. So this will take care of all the content that you are suppose to know, and then you can work on how well you can apply that material on your bank.

If you are not even getting close to passing an NBME, I think it's idiotic to use any review material, which includes DIT. If your in this situation, you have issues with both content and application. You can't go directly to UWorld, because you won't even be able to understand the explanations for the questions you are getting wrong, because you don't know the material.

You need to address the issue of content, of understanding the fundamental concepts of medicine and having your mind organized in a specific manner so you know how to think when you are dealt a certain question. This can be accomplished the long way by reading massive textbooks like Guyton or Robbins, -or- a shorter method is you can use a condensed textbook that will teach you all the material presented on the exam (and in the clinics for that matter), like the pre-official copy of the PASS Notes for example.

Once you have the correct content in your head, you work on application via UWorld, see exactly why are you getting the questions wrong. Is it because of the differential diagnosis? Is it because you are marking an answer that sounds similar to the actual answer? Keep doing that and then your score will start to move climb upwards, it's just all a process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user