Diveheart.org Helping patients with disabilities learn to SCUBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lobelsteve

Full Member
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://diveheart.org/about-us/about-diveheart/

Did not see anything on the forums so I posted. I became aware of this as I have a friend who is a divemaster/instructor and his son is doing a senior HS project setting up a local event.

I am a beginner diver. I am a Physiatrist, What we do and what they do overlaps in the water. If you have an interest or a patient that might want to SCUBA, check them out.

Good things.
 
JenFu is one of the coolest Physiatrist I know!

https://www.facebook.com/KidsRehabDoc/info?tab=page_info

http://getbetterhealth.com/scuba-diving-with-a-disability/2011.06.07

http://journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Abstr...ving_for_Individuals_with_Disabilities.8.aspx

Cheng JF, Diamond M: SCUBA diving for individuals with disabilities. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2005;84:369–375.

Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) diving has become an increasingly popular recreational activity, enjoyed by millions of individuals. There has also been a growing interest in SCUBA diving in the disabled population for rehabilitation and recreation. This review discusses medical issues relevant to individuals with disabilities who wish to participate in SCUBA diving. In addition, specialized equipment, adaptations in techniques, and additional precautions will be presented. SCUBA diving can be an enriching experience, potentially helping to improve self-image and quality of life. Knowledgeable healthcare professionals can help to guide their patients who are interested in SCUBA diving