Patients who don't pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnew2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all do when payments don't pay? Speaking about those of you guys who do inpatient, and for example have Medicare A but patients don't have Medicare B/supplement so the physician portion of costs are not covered by insurance, patients sent a bill and they refuse to pay.

How do you deal with this issue? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Collections
I received an email from my billing company saying that they send two billing statements 30 days apart and if not paid they chuck it up as bad debt. I"m not ok with that. That would mean i'm working for free. Does collections really work though?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email from my billing company saying that they send two billing statements 30 days apart and if not paid they chuck it up as bad debt. I"m not ok with that. That would mean i'm working for free. Does collections really work though?
Sometimes, but more importantly it works better than doing nothing.

That's bs that Medicare has a plan that pays everyone but the doctor but puts nothing in place to enforce that physicians get paid.

That's bs that Medicare has a plan that pays everyone but the doctor but puts nothing in place to enforce that physicians get paid.
Its how its set up. Part A is hospital, part B is physician. Some people elect not to get part B. I have a few older patients like they, but since I'm outpatient FM they pay a deposit up front.

Its how its set up. Part A is hospital, part B is physician. Some people elect not to get part B. I have a few older patients like they, but since I'm outpatient FM they pay a deposit up front.
Can one decline patients that only have part A?

Can one decline patients that only have part A?
Assuming you can decline to take patients at all (meaning not EMTALA/employment bound) you can refuse anyone as long as its not for a reason that's a protected class. Cash pay isn't a protected class, but since the OP mentioned this is an inpatient thing its likely not an option.

Assuming you can decline to take patients at all (meaning not EMTALA/employment bound) you can refuse anyone as long as its not for a reason that's a protected class. Cash pay isn't a protected class, but since the OP mentioned this is an inpatient thing its likely not an option.
Oh I see. That sucks because you are probably never seeing that income. If you don't have the option to refuse because they are inpatient then the facility should cover it and go after the pt.

When I first stated we'd send patients to collections if patients hadn't paid after 6 months. After just a short while I decided I just don't feel right about sending anyone but a select few to collections. Now the only ones I tell them to send to collections are ones who insurance reimbursed directly and they didn't forward the check to my billers, and potentially those who just don't respond after multiple mailed statements/phone calls. If the patient just says "I can't pay" or wants to pay $100/month, etc., then we work with them.

I sleep much better at night since that. The last account we sent to collections was probably two years ago.

Per my billers, they rarely recover anything sent to collections.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but not getting paid by some patients is just the cost of doing business in medicine. It's why Medicaid was started--so physicians providing charity care to the indigent would receive some compensation. In theory our employed colleagues are providing the same free care--the only difference is the hospital is giving them a salary, which may be tied to "productivity." Still, I make more money for less work than my employed acute rehab colleagues, so ultimately I'm still coming out ahead and I can feel better knowing that at least my physician fees aren't sending people into bankruptcy--employed physicians have minimal/no control over that.

On my unit (per on my contract), I can't decline any patients for insurance reasons. But I am not obligated to provide charity care, and if I wanted to, could request any uninsured patients (such as those with only Medicare Part A, and even those the hospital admits for charity care) set up a payment plan ahead of time with my billers (ie, pre-pay for roughly 10 days of rehab). I've never done this--but I could.

For outpatinet physicians, it's a different game.

When I first stated we'd send patients to collections if patients hadn't paid after 6 months. After just a short while I decided I just don't feel right about sending anyone but a select few to collections. Now the only ones I tell them to send to collections are ones who insurance reimbursed directly and they didn't forward the check to my billers, and potentially those who just don't respond after multiple mailed statements/phone calls. If the patient just says "I can't pay" or wants to pay $100/month, etc., then we work with them.

I sleep much better at night since that. The last account we sent to collections was probably two years ago.

Per my billers, they rarely recover anything sent to collections.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but not getting paid by some patients is just the cost of doing business in medicine. It's why Medicaid was started--so physicians providing charity care to the indigent would receive some compensation. In theory our employed colleagues are providing the same free care--the only difference is the hospital is giving them a salary, which may be tied to "productivity." Still, I make more money for less work than my employed acute rehab colleagues, so ultimately I'm still coming out ahead and I can feel better knowing that at least my physician fees aren't sending people into bankruptcy--employed physicians have minimal/no control over that.

On my unit (per on my contract), I can't decline any patients for insurance reasons. But I am not obligated to provide charity care, and if I wanted to, could request any uninsured patients (such as those with only Medicare Part A, and even those the hospital admits for charity care) set up a payment plan ahead of time with my billers (ie, pre-pay for roughly 10 days of rehab). I've never done this--but I could.

For outpatinet physicians, it's a different game.

I agree to some extent. I have one patient though who is a millionaire for example - literally, who paid the hospital directly for like a weeks' worth of rehab or something when his insurance ran out but he's not paying the $800 or so that he owes me. I don't think I should have to provide free care to someone who is literally a millionaire. Or to those people who were atrocious to the staff and me and simply wanted to stay despite being told that they had met their goals, or were not working with therapy, etc etc. I have known a few people who go to court against their patients - that would be a stretch but it bothers me that I have quite a few outstanding bills and people simply don't care. I can tolerate some people who simply can't pay to not pay but I guess my question is for those who can pay what's the best alternative here.

I agree to some extent. I have one patient though who is a millionaire for example - literally, who paid the hospital directly for like a weeks' worth of rehab or something when his insurance ran out but he's not paying the $800 or so that he owes me. I don't think I should have to provide free care to someone who is literally a millionaire. Or to those people who were atrocious to the staff and me and simply wanted to stay despite being told that they had met their goals, or were not working with therapy, etc etc. I have known a few people who go to court against their patients - that would be a stretch but it bothers me that I have quite a few outstanding bills and people simply don't care. I can tolerate some people who simply can't pay to not pay but I guess my question is for those who can pay what's the best alternative here.
The question is if it's really worth the fight/hassle.

The millionaire may create a sink with the hospital administration if you send them to collections (thought it sounds like they deserve it) if they're the VIP sort of person.

That said, if I were in your shoes and had the really difficult patients you describe, I'd probably tell my billers to send them to collections if they hadn't made any attempt to pay/respond after three mailed notices and at least two phone calls. Then I could sleep ok knowing we tried to make it right and reach out to them.

The outstanding bills used to bother me a lot. Then I thought about how many of our elderly patients are probably deceased, severely disabled and having trouble making any kinds of payments, etc. Most people appreciate the care we provide and they compensate us for it. A select few don't pay because they literally can't (no money, totally disabled, or deceased), or they just don't want to and nothing will change it. So why worry about it if we can't change that?

I would personally never take a patient to court for failure to pay alone. If they committed some kind of fraud, libel, etc., then that'd be fair game (just like anybody else in the world). From what I've heard from anyone ever involved in a lawsuit though, it's just best to not get involved in the legal stuff and forget about it/move in if at all possible.

I find my stress/happiness level went way up when I focused less on all the little details in my billings collections. I trust my billers and I'm just going to have faith they're doing what they can to maximize collections (without terrorizing my patients), and let that go on auto-pilot, so to speak. Their job is to worry about that stuff. I just track the total collections coming in, and total patient encounters I had, so I can get a gestault for whether things are off. I also take a really brief look at their monthly reports, then file them away to a region of my office where they'll never be seen again (unless I were audited and needed them).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know what other answer you are looking for. Most of us don’t pay attention to it or just let it go. It is overall a small portion. Have your billing company do everything they can. If they still don’t pay then either accept it and find some new patients or file legal action.

I don’t know what other answer you are looking for. Most of us don’t pay attention to it or just let it go. It is overall a small portion. Have your billing company do everything they can. If they still don’t pay then either accept it and find some new patients or file legal action.
I agree with this. Frankly, physicians shouldn’t be put in the position to not be paid for services. That’s the bigger issue. And if we don’t get paid…nobody else should get paid. We are what allows this whole medical thing to work, and we are often just seen as interchangeable worker bees there to make others money while often being expected to altruistically just deal with it. Physicians would have an easier time dealing with it if others weren’t cashing in because of our generosity.

Hold claims first 2-3 months of the year to increase likelihood these patients hit their out-of-pocket expenses. It’s not worth the time or effort to chase these claims down. And if you send them to collections, you also likely won’t recoup much. Imagine the cognitive load of all of this. Just let Medicare reimburse you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hold claims first 2-3 months of the year to increase likelihood these patients hit their out-of-pocket expenses. It’s not worth the time or effort to chase these claims down. And if you send them to collections, you also likely won’t recoup much. Imagine the cognitive load of all of this. Just let Medicare reimburse you.
This is great advice

Reactions: 1 user