Diversity, adversity, and challenge essay brainstorm feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prompts? Character/word limits?

1) I like it as a topic where you show curiosity about a topic that you don't know much about. After all, you're drawing from your academic studies, and I know a few schools ask you to disclose something you are curious about.

What makes you cool? Your academic minor? I think you can try harder.

2) I'm not a fan of assigning blame to your family members as sources of adversity. Maybe the first time you were confident enough to drive a car would be an impactful experience, but it just doesn't feel appropriate. I think you can talk in more general terms of the challenge of being in a multigenerational household -- which will make your answer sound less like blaming your grandmother for cancer.

3) Again, I'm not a fan of using family as a proxy for your failures. I don't think that failing to communicate with your grandfather meets the expectations of a failure that truly reflects on your professional abilities to process failure as a physician.

4) Is the challenge about being a phlebotomist? It's challenging but I don't think you're answering expectations. Again, I'd like to see your prompt.