Diversity Essay Topic Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblepop

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on potential diversity essay topics! I was talking out my ideas with my peers, but it was still hard to tell which one had most potential.

1.) As an executive board member of of an international collegiate service organization, I had the opportunity to work with students all over the US and various countries, linked only by our dedication to our community. It opened my eyes to how each community has similar yet unique needs, just like the students themselves.

2.) After moving US from Korea when I was seven, and I always had two languages going: English outside, Korean always at home. I'm thinking of framing it as my interest in languages (got formal education is four languages, and one I just picked up) and how this has shaped my ability to understand people in more ways than just verbal communication.

3.) My experience starting from freshman year as choreographer for my school's K-pop (Korean pop for people who might be unfamiliar) dance performance team. I am Korean-American, so working with peers from all different backgrounds around my heritage's culture was eye-opening. The process of teaching new dancers taught me how just learning about why they were interested in learning K-pop dance in the first place enabled all dancers to really appreciate and enjoy their time with the team.

Members don't see this ad.

I would combine #2 and #3 if I were you! it talks about how you were raised speaking Korean at home and your heritage opened more opportunities for you: revealing your interest for learning languages and K-pop

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely think the combination is worth a try. I think the reason it's not intuitive for me to combine #2 & #3 is that they seem like two separate parts of me, even though you pointed out that they are definitely connected. Thank you!