Diversity Essay Topics: Too Much Overlap With Personal Statement?

Started by deleted1193118
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

This might be controversial but I could see you mentioning all three honestly. If the word count is super short I'd do either 2 or 3 yeah.

You're right, you don't want any of your secondaries to just be a personal statement rehash.

You're a really good person BTW
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This might be controversial but I could see you mentioning all three honestly. If the word count is super short I'd do either 2 or 3 yeah.
my worry is that I've seen people say it's good to have an anecdote and if I spread it over too many things it might look less good than one in depth, is that your experience or would you not think that could be a problem? Thanks for the response!! : )
 
my worry is that I've seen people say it's good to have an anecdote and if I spread it over too many things it might look less good than one in depth, is that your experience or would you not think that could be a problem? Thanks for the response!! : )

I was just like you when I was a premed. In the end I don't think it matters either way as long as it's well-written and organized. Maybe like a 5 paragraph essay where the intro and conclusion had a theme and the body paragraphs were the three experiences, and your "theme" is working with marginalized populations since you are a member of one yourself.

If the essay only has space for like 5 sentences, obviously don't do this.

Write well, proofread, but don't be neurotic. Just answer the question. From my perspective secondaries are just a way for me to learn more about who you are. Or a way to see if you'd match school mission.