Diversity Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cugatron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm writing about being gay and my desire to work with the LGBTQ+ community in the future for my diversity essay. I don't mention this anywhere on my primary application, so I figured this would be a great time for me to mention it. Would anyone be willing to look it over for me and provide me with feedback?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I'm writing about being gay and my desire to work with the LGBTQ+ community in the future for my diversity essay. I don't mention this anywhere on my primary application, so I figured this would be a great time for me to mention it. Would anyone be willing to look it over for me and provide me with feedback?

Thanks!

I'll look it over for you. Disclosure: I don't support gay/lesbian because of my religion, but I don't have anything against them either. I believe transgender is a mental illness. I actually think the T part of LGBT is an insult to LGB individuals because they are lumped together artificially and are not really very similar, and lumped together for political purposes.

I can promise you I will provide objective feedback that won't be based on my personal beliefs.

Hey all!

Thanks!

Hey cugatron! If you'd like someone to read over your essay who has no religious objections to being gay/lesbian/bi and doesn't think that being transgender is a mental illness or an affront to the rest of the LGBQ community, I'm happy to take a look (assuming you haven't submitted your secondary yet).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey cugatron! If you'd like someone to read over your essay who has no religious objections to being gay/lesbian/bi and doesn't think that being transgender is a mental illness or an affront to the rest of the LGBQ community, I'm happy to take a look (assuming you haven't submitted your secondary yet).

That is great, consider the person reading it may not share your beliefs so allowing those from a variety of perspectives to read it would be beneficial.

Reactions: 1 user
That is great, consider the person reading it may not share your beliefs so allowing those from a variety of perspectives to read it would be beneficial.

I may be making some assumptions, but since part of my career goals include reducing disparities for LGBT individuals (despite not falling into one of those groups myself), I'll add my two cents. [I should also note that I'm applying for fellowship now and made it abundantly clear in my application that that was a goal of mine].

If someone objects to the OP being gay and working in the LGBTQ+ community to the point that an essay describing said interests serves as a black mark on his application, he probably doesn't want to end up at their institution. The OP shouldn't have to tailor his essay to convince said person that he is a worthwhile potential member of that academic community. It's really not a beneficial situation for either party.

But maybe others feel differently.

Reactions: 3 users
I may be making some assumptions, but since part of my career goals include reducing disparities for LGBT individuals (despite not falling into one of those groups myself), I'll add my two cents. [I should also note that I'm applying for fellowship now and made it abundantly clear in my application that that was a goal of mine].

If someone objects to the OP being gay and working in the LGBTQ+ community to the point that an essay describing said interests serves as a black mark on his application, he probably doesn't want to end up at their institution. The OP shouldn't have to tailor his essay to convince said person that he is a worthwhile potential member of that academic community. It's really not a beneficial situation for either party.

But maybe others feel differently.

I believe this should apply as a general rule for any applicant or interview. If being yourself isn't accepted, then you probably want to go somewhere else anyway.

Hey all!

Thanks!
Pm me if you'd like me to read it over. I'm an LGBT psychologist who came from a strong multicultural graduate program.

I'll look it over for you. Disclosure: I don't support gay/lesbian because of my religion, but I don't have anything against them either. I believe transgender is a mental illness. I actually think the T part of LGBT is an insult to LGB individuals because they are lumped together artificially and are not really very similar, and lumped together for political purposes.

I can promise you I will provide objective feedback that won't be based on my personal beliefs.
I'm not understanding why you're in this forum then. I'm a licensed psychologist and part of the LGBT community and aware of the kind of damage these kinds of statements (trans = mental illness) can have on the trans community. I hope you don't announce these things in your health profession/practice when working with LGBT folks; I would hope you treat them like human beings who deserve the best medical care. I might think your religion is offensive and archaic but I respect your right to practice it so long as you don't treat anyone differently and you believe in basic human rights and equal treatment. Don't close the door on understanding a group because of your own biases.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not understanding why you're in this forum then. I'm a licensed psychologist and part of the LGBT community and aware of the kind of damage these kinds of statements (trans = mental illness) can have on the trans community. I hope you don't announce these things in your health profession/practice when working with LGBT folks; I would hope you treat them like human beings who deserve the best medical care. I might think your religion is offensive and archaic but I respect your right to practice it so long as you don't treat anyone differently and you believe in basic human rights and equal treatment. Don't close the door on understanding a group because of your own biases.

Why do you assume just because I believe transgender is a mental illness (like many other health professionals) implies that I would treat them worse and not provide them the same optimum care I would anyone else? That implication is really foolish, especially considered you are a licensed psychologist. Do you believe that I (and others) treat patients with other mental illnesses with sub-par medical care too? I believe transgender individuals deserve and should get the same level of care as anyone else, most of these individuals have multiple psychiatric co-morbidities and require it. Also, do you think I'm incapable of understanding transgender because I classify it is a mental illness? I guess I don't understand depression, schizophrenia, bipolar,....etc (although my psychiatry shelf exam and board exams suggest otherwise). Acknowledging an individual has a mental illness doesn't equate discrimination or inferior treatment.

It is really unfortunate when healthcare providers listen to politicians and don't call a spade what it is, a space, because they want to be politically correct. I was actively reaching out to this individual to help them, but instead I'm treated as if I'm discriminating against them.

Again OP, I'd be happy to look at your essay and provide you with some feedback.

Why do you assume just because I believe transgender is a mental illness (like many other health professionals) implies that I would treat them worse and not provide them the same optimum care I would anyone else? That implication is really foolish, especially considered you are a licensed psychologist. Do you believe that I (and others) treat patients with other mental illnesses with sub-par medical care too? I believe transgender individuals deserve and should get the same level of care as anyone else, most of these individuals have multiple psychiatric co-morbidities and require it. Also, do you think I'm incapable of understanding transgender because I classify it is a mental illness? I guess I don't understand depression, schizophrenia, bipolar,....etc (although my psychiatry shelf exam and board exams suggest otherwise). Acknowledging an individual has a mental illness doesn't equate discrimination or inferior treatment.

It is really unfortunate when healthcare providers listen to politicians and don't call a spade what it is, a space, because they want to be politically correct. I was actively reaching out to this individual to help them, but instead I'm treated as if I'm discriminating against them.

Again OP, I'd be happy to look at your essay and provide you with some feedback.

Inferior treatment begins when you make assumptions (i.e. transgender folks are all mentally ill). It's called "implicit bias," and it is heavily researched in psychology. Yes, it has an effect even when you aren't aware of it.

I'd really like to know the "many other health professionals" who believe that transgender identity is a mental illness, because if this is correct, I'm very concerned about the medical field. As a psychologist trained in diagnoses, I know mental health diagnoses probably a little better than you, and Gender Identity Disorder is not in the DSM-V (2013 is when it came out, so you seem to be behind the loop in diagnoses); it was, however, in the DSM-IV TR, and then was removed because it unfairly stigmatized all individuals who didn't fit into a gender binary as mentally ill. "Gender dysphoria," on the other hand, is a CURRENT diagnosis in the DSM-V that sometimes fits for those who are transgender but experiencing extreme dysphoria as a result of the incongruence between their internal identity and their body/external experience. Not every individual identifying as transgender fits that diagnosis, so no, not all transgender individuals have a diagnosable mental illness. It's interesting and a bit condescending to assert that you know more about mental health than someone trained in mental health diagnoses, well-read in bias/prejudice research, trained in gender identity concerns, and trained to treat folks with gender issues. But it seems that you'd like to explain my knowledge base to me as if you know it better...

Last edited:
Inferior treatment begins when you make assumptions (i.e. transgender folks are all mentally ill). It's called "implicit bias," and it is heavily researched in psychology. Yes, it has an effect even when you aren't aware of it.

I'd really like to know the "many other health professionals" who believe that transgender identity is a mental illness, because if this is correct, I'm very concerned about the medical field. As a psychologist trained in diagnoses, I know mental health diagnoses probably a little better than you, and Gender Identity Disorder is not in the DSM-V (2013 is when it came out, so you seem to be behind the loop in diagnoses); it was, however, in the DSM-IV TR, and then was removed because it unfairly stigmatized all individuals who didn't fit into a gender binary as mentally ill. "Gender dysphoria," on the other hand, is a CURRENT diagnosis in the DSM-V that sometimes fits for those who are transgender but experiencing extreme dysphoria as a result of the incongruence between their internal identity and their body/external experience. Not every individual identifying as transgender fits that diagnosis, so no, not all transgender individuals have a diagnosable mental illness. It's interesting and a bit condescending to assert that you know more about mental health than someone trained in mental health diagnoses, well-read in bias/prejudice research, trained in gender identity concerns, and trained to treat folks with gender issues. But it seems that you'd like to explain my knowledge base to me as if you know it better...

You made little effort to refute any of my points. I suppose my "implicit bias" causes me to treat all mental ill patients with inferior care???? I don't care what the DSM-V says, many psychiatrists don't agree with many of the changes within it and often still go by the DSM-IV TR. It was most likely removed from the DSM-IV TR because it was not politically correct. It is shocking that you honestly believe that an individual with a mental illness gets inferior care because of my "implicit bias." Or does this only apply to transgender?

You made little effort to refute any of my points. I suppose my "implicit bias" causes me to treat all mental ill patients with inferior care???? I don't care what the DSM-V says, many psychiatrists don't agree with many of the changes within it and often still go by the DSM-IV TR. It was most likely removed from the DSM-IV TR because it was not politically correct. It is shocking that you honestly believe that an individual with a mental illness gets inferior care because of my "implicit bias." Or does this only apply to transgender?

Unethical practice = using outdated diagnostic systems.

Why are you even in this forum? It isn't for straight people to come in and troll the LGBT community by spreading falsehoods and misinformation, so if you're here to spread your narrow minded and outmoded ideas, please leave this forum.

Pm me if you'd like me to read it over. I'm an LGBT psychologist who came from a strong multicultural graduate program.

Hi, I sent you a PM! Thank you so much! I'm ignoring the troll and hope they leave this forum because their narrow views are not welcome here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

This subforum is not intended for arguing this topic; I suggest you try the Sociopolitical Forum instead.

Now, let's get back to the original topic, although it seems as though the OP may have already gotten the feedback requested. OP, if you need more people to give feedback just let us know.

Hi, I sent you a PM! Thank you so much! I'm ignoring the troll and hope they leave this forum because their narrow views are not welcome here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This subforum is not intended for arguing this topic; I suggest you try the Sociopolitical Forum instead.

Now, let's get back to the original topic, although it seems as though the OP may have already gotten the feedback requested. OP, if you need more people to give feedback just let us know.

To the OP, I'm still open to providing feedback. You can "ignore the troll" if you so choose, but consider your views are likely the ones that are actually narrow. @foreverbull is the one who started the arguing. I was sincere in providing feedback for the OP's essay. Maybe the licensed psychologists should practice tolerance and acceptance of other viewpoints.

To the OP, I'm still open to providing feedback. You can "ignore the troll" if you so choose, but consider your views are likely the ones that are actually narrow. @foreverbull is the one who started the arguing. I was sincere in providing feedback for the OP's essay. Maybe the licensed psychologists should practice tolerance and acceptance of other viewpoints.

You unnecessarily shared your views initially that transgender identity is mental illness when saying you could look over the op's essay. Why was that needed?
If you'd simply not said it (that is an outdated and offensive view anywhere, but particularly in an LGBT forum it has no place), I wouldn't have responded. If your views are potentially harmful, I will most certainly call them out as an advocate for the LGBT community.

And again, why are you in this forum if you don't have an open mind about aspects of the LGBT community?

You unnecessarily shared your views initially that transgender identity is mental illness when saying you could look over the op's essay. Why was that needed?
If you'd simply not said it (that is an outdated and offensive view anywhere, but particularly in an LGBT forum it has no place), I wouldn't have responded. If your views are potentially harmful, I will most certainly call them out as an advocate for the LGBT community.

And again, why are you in this forum if you don't have an open mind about aspects of the LGBT community?

I do have an open mind about aspects of the LGBT community. In reality, T is not the same as LGB, so quit lumping them all together as they are really quite different. They have more differences than similarities. I shared my beliefs to be transparent and in a sincere attempt to offer feedback from a diverse audience. You are the one that is close-minded and insist my classification of transgender as a mental illness makes me incapable of providing the standard of care to these patients. My views are not harmful, the mindset of people like you is harmful because you are letting politics interfere with the reality this psychiatric condition. Like it or not, if being diagnosed with any mental illness is offensive, that doesn't change the reality of the condition. Should we quit classifying schizophrenia as a mental illness because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings?

Please stop trolling this forum. I've already explained why your view is offensive to many trans folks.

I do have an open mind about aspects of the LGBT community. In reality, T is not the same as LGB, so quit lumping them all together as they are really quite different. They have more differences than similarities. I shared my beliefs to be transparent and in a sincere attempt to offer feedback from a diverse audience. You are the one that is close-minded and insist my classification of transgender as a mental illness makes me incapable of providing the standard of care to these patients. My views are not harmful, the mindset of people like you is harmful because you are letting politics interfere with the reality this psychiatric condition. Like it or not, if being diagnosed with any mental illness is offensive, that doesn't change the reality of the condition. Should we quit classifying schizophrenia as a mental illness because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings?

I'm not interested in having your opinion on my essay. Thank you for offering, but I'm not interested. Now can you please leave this forum and take your toxic opinions elsewhere.

Please stop trolling this forum. I've already explained why your view is offensive to many trans folks.

I'm not interested in having your opinion on my essay. Thank you for offering, but I'm not interested. Now can you please leave this forum and take your toxic opinions elsewhere.

Perhaps you remind yourself of the true definition of trolling. Words lose meaning when they are used incorrectly. My opinions are not toxic, you are simply intolerant of anyone that disagrees with you. Regardless, at this point I have nothing more to add to what I stated previously. I won't be posting anything else in this thread unless someone prompts me to do so. Good luck with you essay.

I would strongly, strongly encourage people not to engage with posters whom they think are trolling (in this thread or in other threads). This subforum does not exist for debate about the validity of LGBTQ identity and related topics. The easiest way to prevent productive conversations from degenerating into such debate is by refusing to participate in it yourself.

Reactions: 5 users