Diversity Essay

Started by Avicenna144
Tags Tags
diveristy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Avicenna144

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some help with the diversity essay. I came here when I was eighteen from a middle eastern country, so I basically want to discuss how my immigration experience generated motivation inside me to always prove myself. How it made me determined to excel academically despite having to adapt to a education system different than the one I am used to, and how it compelled me to take advantage of all the opportunities presented to me (like for example opening my own online business when I was only nineteen years old).

Or should I play it safe and just talk about how it made me empathize with people who feel different than everyone else just because I know too well the feeling that you do not belong somewhere?
 
Last edited:
I basically want to discuss how my immigration experience generated motivation inside me to always prove myself. How it made me determined to excel academically despite having to adapt to a education system different than the one I am used to, and how it compelled me to take advantage of all the opportunities presented to me
Sounds great. Start writing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some help with the diversity essay. I came here when I was eighteen from a middle eastern country, so I basically want to discuss how my immigration experience generated motivation inside me to always prove myself. How it made me determined to excel academically despite having to adapt to a education system different than the one I am used to, and how it compelled me to take advantage of all the opportunities presented to me (like for example opening my own online business when I was only nineteen years old).

Or should I play it safe and just talk about how it made me empathize with people who feel different than everyone else just because I know too well the feeling that you do not belong somewhere?
The immigrant experience is fine.
 
I think this sounds great. Just a common mistake I see- avoid talking about how you'll need that empathy when you're a doctor. Many people make the mistake of talking about how they think the skills they've acquired will help them become a better doctor. Adcoms don't like this from what I gather.
 
I think this sounds great. Just a common mistake I see- avoid talking about how you'll need that empathy when you're a doctor. Many people make the mistake of talking about how they think the skills they've acquired will help them become a better doctor. Adcoms don't like this from what I gather.

Great! Thanks your help. I see where you are coming from with how tying every experiece you had with medicine might look bad, but I thought that you have to do it sometimes to show adcoms how the skills you gained will help you succeed as a doctor. Not sure though if I am correct so if someone wants to chime in that would be great