Diversity Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna144

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help with the diversity essay. I came here when I was eighteen from a middle eastern country, so I basically want to discuss how my immigration experience generated motivation inside me to always prove myself. How it made me determined to excel academically despite having to adapt to a education system different than the one I am used to, and how it compelled me to take advantage of all the opportunities presented to me (like for example opening my own online business when I was only nineteen years old).

Or should I play it safe and just talk about how it made me empathize with people who feel different than everyone else just because I know too well the feeling that you do not belong somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I basically want to discuss how my immigration experience generated motivation inside me to always prove myself. How it made me determined to excel academically despite having to adapt to a education system different than the one I am used to, and how it compelled me to take advantage of all the opportunities presented to me
Sounds great. Start writing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need some help with the diversity essay. I came here when I was eighteen from a middle eastern country, so I basically want to discuss how my immigration experience generated motivation inside me to always prove myself. How it made me determined to excel academically despite having to adapt to a education system different than the one I am used to, and how it compelled me to take advantage of all the opportunities presented to me (like for example opening my own online business when I was only nineteen years old).

Or should I play it safe and just talk about how it made me empathize with people who feel different than everyone else just because I know too well the feeling that you do not belong somewhere?
The immigrant experience is fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this sounds great. Just a common mistake I see- avoid talking about how you'll need that empathy when you're a doctor. Many people make the mistake of talking about how they think the skills they've acquired will help them become a better doctor. Adcoms don't like this from what I gather.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this sounds great. Just a common mistake I see- avoid talking about how you'll need that empathy when you're a doctor. Many people make the mistake of talking about how they think the skills they've acquired will help them become a better doctor. Adcoms don't like this from what I gather.

Great! Thanks your help. I see where you are coming from with how tying every experiece you had with medicine might look bad, but I thought that you have to do it sometimes to show adcoms how the skills you gained will help you succeed as a doctor. Not sure though if I am correct so if someone wants to chime in that would be great