diversity in LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question...three of my LORs are from guys, professors who know me really well and one dentist, but I was thinking the other day, would a letter from a female professor be worthwhile to get? Granted there is only one I could really ask for, whos class I am currently in, but before I do that, it should not matter that three of my letters are from men should it? I thought what if some feminazi woman was reading my app...what would she think? I guess this is a little out there, but just some pre-app jitters I'm wishing to quell with your advice...thanks!

PS: watched an extraction today at the dentist I shadow's office...amazing and beautiful what he did...but bloody as heck...the tooth flew across the room and hit the wall, heh. Fun times. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

hrm i don't think you should worry about a diversity. just make sure you get a diversity from the fields. don't get all of them from chemistry professors. get one from science, english or etc...

btw i am going to make a big generalization. but most science professors i have seen are men. at uva i think there was only one or two female chemistry professors.

It is much more important to get recommendations from people/professors who know you well enough to write a good recommendation rather than worry about if the person is male, female, etc.

Best of luck....man, it seems like SO LONG AGO that I was applying....hard to believe it was only a year an a half ago!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
rocknightmare said:
hrm i don't think you should worry about a diversity. just make sure you get a diversity from the fields. don't get all of them from chemistry professors. get one from science, english or etc...

btw i am going to make a big generalization. but most science professors i have seen are men. at uva i think there was only one or two female chemistry professors.

hmmm...yeah, come to think of it...all of my science professors were men. But also to add my $0.02 ...maybe there is somebody besides a dentist or professor who would be willing to write a letter on your behalf such as a former employer or a volunteer organizer where you've volunteered. It may add a different perspective on your character (i.e. compassionate, caregiver, etc)

Don't worry too much about the gender of the person writing the letter. I'm not sure how much that matters. Perhaps you can ask someone outside of school who knows you well.

I also had the three science profs and the dentist I shadowed, but I also threw in my instructor for ski patrol as a wild card and it seems to have worked great for me. I was lucky as he was a family friend already, but try to think of people you may have worked with or for that would have some nice words to say about you.

Remember, they are looking for people who work well with others both in and out of the classroom. Hope this helps! :D