1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Diversity in Vet School

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by cyrille104, Jul 24, 2006.

1. cyrille104

2+ Year Member

Can anyone tell me what the demographic is like in a typical vet school? I know there are a disproportionate number of women, but what about each of the following: race and ethnicity, age, nationality, sexual orientation, and disability?

Thanks, I was just wondering.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. birdvet2006

birdvet2006 Glasgow c/o 2006
    5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I'll tell you that at my vet school, in my class (c/o 2006) we had about 99% Caucasians (but this is in the UK, where diversity in race isn't much compared to the USA). We had 24 guys and 64 girls, working out to be 27% male as a whole. Nationality - most were Scottish or English, with a handful of Irish and Northern Irish and only 3 Americans (from the USA). Disability - a good number had dyslexia or other learning disabilities. One had muscular dystrophy and another had bilateral high frequency hearing loss. I'd say there were about 10/88 with a reported disability (greater than 10%).

4. are_jay

are_jay Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I know the average age across the country is around 26, but all it takes is one or two in their late 30s-40s to skew that. Cultural diversity likely depends on which school you're at, but it's mostly white... and American. I remember reading that some schools don't accept international students, but now I can't find where I read it.

5. TigeRee

TigeRee Junior Member

Here's the AAVMC website of stats on the Vet Schools in the US.

http://aavmc.org/stats2.htm

It isn't the most recent info. but it gives you an good general idea. :)

6. 2Bsure

2Bsure Member
    5+ Year Member

More recent data, including race, gender, and regional diversity by school, can be found here.

Hope this helps.