Diversity in Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cyrille104

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me what the demographic is like in a typical vet school? I know there are a disproportionate number of women, but what about each of the following: race and ethnicity, age, nationality, sexual orientation, and disability?

Thanks, I was just wondering.
 
cyrille104 said:
Can anyone tell me what the demographic is like in a typical vet school? I know there are a disproportionate number of women, but what about each of the following: race and ethnicity, age, nationality, sexual orientation, and disability?

Thanks, I was just wondering.

I'll tell you that at my vet school, in my class (c/o 2006) we had about 99% Caucasians (but this is in the UK, where diversity in race isn't much compared to the USA). We had 24 guys and 64 girls, working out to be 27% male as a whole. Nationality - most were Scottish or English, with a handful of Irish and Northern Irish and only 3 Americans (from the USA). Disability - a good number had dyslexia or other learning disabilities. One had muscular dystrophy and another had bilateral high frequency hearing loss. I'd say there were about 10/88 with a reported disability (greater than 10%).
 
I know the average age across the country is around 26, but all it takes is one or two in their late 30s-40s to skew that. Cultural diversity likely depends on which school you're at, but it's mostly white... and American. I remember reading that some schools don't accept international students, but now I can't find where I read it.


cyrille104 said:
Can anyone tell me what the demographic is like in a typical vet school? I know there are a disproportionate number of women, but what about each of the following: race and ethnicity, age, nationality, sexual orientation, and disability?

Thanks, I was just wondering.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
More recent data, including race, gender, and regional diversity by school, can be found here.

Hope this helps.