Diversity in Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyrille104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the demographic is like in a typical vet school? I know there are a disproportionate number of women, but what about each of the following: race and ethnicity, age, nationality, sexual orientation, and disability?

Thanks, I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

cyrille104 said:
Can anyone tell me what the demographic is like in a typical vet school? I know there are a disproportionate number of women, but what about each of the following: race and ethnicity, age, nationality, sexual orientation, and disability?

I'll tell you that at my vet school, in my class (c/o 2006) we had about 99% Caucasians (but this is in the UK, where diversity in race isn't much compared to the USA). We had 24 guys and 64 girls, working out to be 27% male as a whole. Nationality - most were Scottish or English, with a handful of Irish and Northern Irish and only 3 Americans (from the USA). Disability - a good number had dyslexia or other learning disabilities. One had muscular dystrophy and another had bilateral high frequency hearing loss. I'd say there were about 10/88 with a reported disability (greater than 10%).

I know the average age across the country is around 26, but all it takes is one or two in their late 30s-40s to skew that. Cultural diversity likely depends on which school you're at, but it's mostly white... and American. I remember reading that some schools don't accept international students, but now I can't find where I read it.

cyrille104 said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the AAVMC website of stats on the Vet Schools in the US.

http://aavmc.org/stats2.htm

It isn't the most recent info. but it gives you an good general idea. :)

More recent data, including race, gender, and regional diversity by school, can be found here.

Hope this helps.