Diversity Prompt help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovecheese94

Reaction score
I've lived a fairly cookie-cutter pre-med life, pouring a lot of time into research and clinical experience so I'm struggling a little with the diversity prompt. The following are the possibilities I've thrown around in my head and was hoping I could get some feedback!

-I've attended the same cultural/leadership camp for the past 11 years, as a camper then counselor. This camp helped shape a lot of who I am and I've seen this same growth in the kids I've mentored; kids I met as elementary schoolers are now entering their first year as counselors and it blows my mind. This camp is very dear to my heart and I could talk about it for hours but I already talk about it on my primary app in the experiences category/I'm not sure how it help me bring diversity the table other than the fact that I have this experience

-I like yoga. I haven't done anything special with it (eg certification, taken any wild classes) but it has given me a much better appreciation for introspection, self care, and holistic healing

-I'm a 2nd gen immigrant and I've jotted down a number of recipes my parents make and have attempted some of them. I could spin this as a working on a recipe book to connect with my parents and their culture. Again, not sure how this makes me particularly diverse

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not the yoga one, doesn't sound like diversity at all. I wouldn't do the third one either as it seems like you grasping to try and make your 2nd gen status "diverse" without a solid explanation behind it. If you've got some stronger reasons or explanations about how you connect with your heritage it could be valid, but the whole "I've tried making some dishes from my heritage" sounds weak. The first is the best bet of the three, especially since it sounds like it's something that made such an impact on your life and that you feel like you can talk about a lot. The diversity aspect could be how you worked with kids and helped mentor them as campers and then as counselors. Plenty of people volunteer and work with kids, but developing more long-term relationships with them is something much less common that I think you could turn into a diversity statement.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely not the yoga one, doesn't sound like diversity at all. I wouldn't do the third one either as it seems like you grasping to try and make your 2nd gen status "diverse" without a solid explanation behind it. If you've got some stronger reasons or explanations about how you connect with your heritage it could be valid, but the whole "I've tried making some dishes from my heritage" sounds weak. The first is the best bet of the three, especially since it sounds like it's something that made such an impact on your life and that you feel like you can talk about a lot. The diversity aspect could be how you worked with kids and helped mentor them as campers and then as counselors. Plenty of people volunteer and work with kids, but developing more long-term relationships with them is something much less common that I think you could turn into a diversity statement.
Thank you, this helps immensely!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.