Diversity Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am wrapping up my PS, and it talks a lot about diversity, since I am a non-traditional student. One of my supplementals wants a diversity statement. What is the opinion on taking stuff from my PS and using it? Do I expand on it with the supplemental? Is it frowned upon if I use some of the same statements? thanks!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

The school that gets your diversity statement is also getting your PS, so...I'm not saying you shouldn't mention your non-trad status in the diversity statement, but you'd be losing an opportunity to say something new if you just repeat yourself. I would maybe put a sentence, maybe two on how you're going to add something to the class from different life experiences but focus on things you didn't put in your PS.

Honestly, you might want to refocus your PS if it's about how you'll add diversity instead of your personal journey to vet med/why you will be a good veterinarian. I know it's late, but you want to use all the space available to sell yourself. If your PS is still about the journey/qualities/etc., maybe you want to talk about the same things in your diversity statement but refocus them to be about what you're adding to the class. Sorry, it's kind of hard talking about this in the abstract. :shrug:

I would ask yourself if your personal statement fully answers the prompt. I ask because I've read a lot of PS's that stray from what they are supposed to be talking about, and because it's pretty hard to keep things short enough and I wonder if you were able to fit the full answer in while also fitting in all that other stuff. If your PS does not address the entire prompt, then transfer most of the diversity stuff over to the appropriate secondary essays and make your PS more focused on why you want to be a vet, your understanding of the field, etc. If your PS does answer the prompt appropriately while also touching on the diversity stuff, you could choose to go more in depth about something on the diversity essay or find something completely different than your non-trad status to write about for the diversity statement.

Use your diversity essay as a hook line and sinker, so that they remember you. Tell them what makes you, you. Try to not tie it to closely to your personal statement, they have already read that. Also don't use it as another outlet to tell them why you want to be a veterinarian.

My diversity essay for my IS was about cupcakes, I kid you not. I got such great feed back from it from the admissions committee.