Diversity/Inclusion Questions on Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw1221

Reaction score
Anybody have pointers on how to approach questions like this? For reference, I am a 21YO white female, so I am having a hard time figuring out how or why I would be a diverse applicant

The Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine is dedicated to creating an inclusive teaching, learning, and working environment where people's ideas, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and beliefs are accepted, appreciated, and respected. Thinking about your various life experiences, tell us how you could potentially contribute to this effort within our college and the future diverse communities you will serve. (3000 character limit)

Members don't see this ad.

Notice that they are asking how you could contribute to an inclusive environment, not whether or not you would be considered “a diverse applicant”. Keep in mind also that diversity does not equate to a minority status. It’s the combining of people from different backgrounds that creates diversity. Even as a self-described "21yo white female", you have a distinct set of cultural norms, beliefs, identity, etc. that you are bringing to the table.

I would focus in on this part: “tell us how you could potentially contribute to this effort within our college and the future diverse communities you will serve”. What do you think are qualities that support and enable a diverse and inclusive community? Have you exhibited these qualities in your past experiences, personal life, extracurriculars? If you don’t have any examples to talk about, think about how you would approach working with others who do not share your background/culture/ideas and discuss that.

Reactions: 2 users
Notice that they are asking how you could contribute to an inclusive environment, not whether or not you would be considered “a diverse applicant”. Keep in mind also that diversity does not equate to a minority status. It’s the combining of people from different backgrounds that creates diversity. Even as a self-described "21yo white female", you have a distinct set of cultural norms, beliefs, identity, etc. that you are bringing to the table.

I would focus in on this part: “tell us how you could potentially contribute to this effort within our college and the future diverse communities you will serve”. What do you think are qualities that support and enable a diverse and inclusive community? Have you exhibited these qualities in your past experiences, personal life, extracurriculars? If you don’t have any examples to talk about, think about how you would approach working with others who do not share your background/culture/ideas and discuss that.
That is very helpful!!! I was definitely misunderstanding the question too. Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 users