Diversity Topic - Family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UbiquitinAsian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to write my diversity essay about the fact that I partially grew up in a joint family (parents, siblings, aunt, uncle, grandparents all under one roof) and my experience from that and how that has molded my personality. This is something pretty different than the childhood of my friends in the US, so I think it might shed a different light. Does this seem like a decent diversity topic? I am having trouble relating it back to medicine though. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Nearly all of my SE Asian friends grew up in this environment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the diverse (unique) experience/perspective need to be something that very few people have had?
Not exactly, no. If you think that it's something that makes you unique then by all means put it. I was more just saying that it may not be as unique as you might think.

Not exactly, no. If you think that it's something that makes you unique then by all means put it. I was more just saying that it may not be as unique as you might think.

Yeah lol I completely know it's not the most unique thing. I'm stuck with the diversity topic and I'm just tryna get a gauge for this idea. It's so damn frustrating haha. Thanks for the help.

Yeah lol I completely know it's not the most unique thing. I'm stuck with the diversity topic and I'm just tryna get a gauge for this idea. It's so damn frustrating haha. Thanks for the help.
Think about it, what makes you you? Maybe you have a hobby, or some sort of passion outside of academics/medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to write my diversity essay about the fact that I partially grew up in a joint family (parents, siblings, aunt, uncle, grandparents all under one roof) and my experience from that and how that has molded my personality. This is something pretty different than the childhood of my friends in the US, so I think it might shed a different light. Does this seem like a decent diversity topic? I am having trouble relating it back to medicine though. Any thoughts?
Nope.

And these things do NOT have to be related back to Medicine. This is a common pre-med delusion.

What makes you cool?

Nope.

And these things do NOT have to be related back to Medicine. This is a common pre-med delusion.

What makes you cool?

Nope as in not a decent topic choice? Don't have any strong hobbies, but people tell me I am funny and always know how to make their day a bit better with my humor. Don't know if that makes me cool, but it's a common way people describe me. However, it's not as if I have capitalized on that to do stand up comedy or anything in my free time (regrets).

"Nope" as in not a decent topic choice.

What do you have to offer that is unique to a med school class?

I really don't know. Besides my upbringing (family/friends), I don't have anything that is eye-catching. That is why I wanted to talk about how my childhood was something that brought about a different perspective. Maybe I'm wrong to think it's a different perspective, maybe it's very common.

I could try something about music. I was surrounded heavily by music growing up. My whole family plays different Indian classical musical instruments and I was immersed in that. I only played for a few years (not indian classical music and only middle school/high school), so it's not something that I still continue to do, but I do still continue listening and attending concerts with my fam. We always set up concerts for different events (birthdays/anniversaries/graduations to celebrate) and I have helped play a role in setting up those concerts. It's a big part of how my family operates. But I feel this turns too much about my fam instead of about me. Thoughts?

"Nope" as in not a decent topic choice.

What do you have to offer that is unique to a med school class?

So, I wrote about something that is tangentially similar. I talked about growing up in a very collectivist setting with communal values. I contrasted these values with the more individualist values of society and described how I learned to embrace a more holistic perspective, neither individualist nor collectivist. I described the conflicts I went through and how I learned about many cultures through my more holistic perspective. I then gave an example of how my perspective helped inform my actions in a specific clinical scenario that occurred.

Do you think that this is an appropriate topic?

So, I wrote about something that is tangentially similar. I talked about growing up in a very collectivist setting with communal values. I contrasted these values with the more individualist values of society and described how I learned to embrace a more holistic perspective, neither individualist nor collectivist. I described the conflicts I went through and how I learned about many cultures through my more holistic perspective. I then gave an example of how my perspective helped inform my actions in a specific clinical scenario that occurred.

I personally like it, but I think according to Goro it doesn't quite fit the bill for the topic.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sounds fine

I'll do it for him from the similar threads: "If I asked your three best friends what they think the most interesting thing about you is, what would they say?"

It doesn't need to be medicine because medicine isn't interesting in a med school app. Your family situation isn't anything you had a say in, so it doesn't tell us that much about you and the choices you make.