Diversity topic?? I'm so desperate...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gljj

Reaction score
I know the diversity essay isn't just referring to race/ethnicity/religion but for context I'm ORM, second-generation, middle class. I am really having a hard time coming up with a decent topic because I am truthfully not that interesting of a person.

EDIT: removing some details for privacy

1) Lots of off-campus involvement during undergrad. A majority of my ECs revolved around community outreach, specifically in an urban underserved area with large immigrant and uninsured populations.

2) Growing up in a predominantly white neighborhood and basically rejecting my Asian culture in order to fit in. I think I could tie this in with #1 and how I see a lot of my parents' past struggles with language/cultural/financial barriers in the people I serve.

3) Being the only American-born undergrad in my PI's lab. I learned from working together with people of different backgrounds and stages of life, with different goals and paths to pursuing research, etc.

4) Exposure to different religions.

That's what I've come up with so far... I'll keep brainstorming but feedback on these current ones would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Maybe combine 1 and 2? Although #2 is a genuine and real diversity topic, I've seen hundreds of Asian-American applicants discuss essentially the same prompt. When I answered that prompt, I wrote about basically the same exact thing as you did, and in the last couple years, I've realized that honestly, it's basic. Maybe that's fine, but I'm doubtful that seeing the same exact essay makes an applicant stand out in an adcom member's eyes. If you can phrase yours in a way that might be more unique, it'll earn you some more points.

With that being said, I wouldn't stress about this too much. Secondaries matter a lot less than people think.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the responses! I agree #2 is super basic, which is why I was hesitant to write about it. But I think a mixture of 1 and 2 is really the best I have so I'll just have to work with it. Thanks again!