Division chair doesn't have time to meet during ASH. Red flag?

Started by Gastrin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gastrin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I am a hem/onc fellow looking for jobs.

I interviewed for an academic position and the people over there liked me and I liked the place as well.
Since then I have spoken with the division chair twice over phone, and we are planning a second visit.

I emailed the division chair to set up a brief meeting at ASH.

His secretary wrote back saying that "His calendar is completely booked. However, he would love to talk if you run into him"

I usually don't mind things, but felt a bit insulted by this.

1. I find it hard to believe that a division chair won't have 15 minutes over a 4 day period to meet a faculty candidate.
2. He could have written it himself instead of his assistant, who wasn't even copied on the initial email
3. Is this a red flag? Am I justified in feeling so? or am I reading too much into it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
 
I dunno man. You've spoken 2x on the phone already and are going to meet again in person. The chair is probably busy AF at the meeting and I'm not sure why you would even bother to ask to meet up. It's not even close to a good time to meet a potential new hire.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed. Not completely necessary for a formal sit down. If you see him at a talk / presentation you can politely approach him afterwards and say hello and you're excited to join -- that's completely appropriate.
 
Is the chair moderating or presenting during any sessions? If so, wouldn't be a bad move to attend and say hi afterwards. I was in a similar situation to you last year where a division chief couldn't make time to meet during ASH. I ended up getting an offer.