Question about red flags, research etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VTANACC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 at a mid-tier MD program. I took a medical leave of absence last year and failed/successfully remediated first block of M1. I'm back, though, and honored my first block back. I guess my question for y'all is if this is something I can come back from. I'm pretty set on IM, and definitely want to pursue a fellowship, ideally in H/O.

Second question is maybe a little more straightforward but I haven't really found a conclusive answer: how important is med school research for fellowship applications? Is that something I should be doing (especially given the red flags?) A lot of people have told me essentially that it's more important that it gets done during residency, but I guess I'm thinking I probably need to be a little more aggressive if I want to match into a decent IM program. Any thoughts help

Members don't see this ad.

You haven’t eliminated the possibility of a career in oncology. I recommend focusing on getting into an academic IM residency at this point - do as well as possible during clinical rotations and Step 2, do some research (doesn’t need to be onc-related) if possible.