divorce and finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone who is a doctor here and gone through divorce
can you advise on what strategies to adopt to minimize the damage

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

minimize the damage
I'm a layperson reader of the legal advice forum on reddit. So I essentially have no qualifications. I'm regurgitating what I've read there. Generally anything you could have done to protect yourself would have been done before or early during the marriage. There's not much you can do now other than making sure you have some cash in an account that is only yours (to make sure your other doesn't leave you with nothing.) Don't withdraw all the cash in your shared accounts, because you have to leave your other with some. Don't try to hide assets, it probably won't work and will look bad. Your lawyer would be the best person to ask about all this. If you don't have a lawyer, you need one.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks
I'm just thinking of getting married just weighing the pros and cons , so I wanted to plan for divorce in future as you know 50% chance of that happening
I guess I should talk to a lawyer first before any serious plans of marriage

There's almost nothing you can do to protect the assets that are earned during the course of your marriage together in the case of divorce. The best things to do would be making sure you marry someone you feel comfortable marrying and maybe a little therapy to figure out why you're getting so worked up about divorce before you're even married... (I don't mean that disparagingly, believing that therapy can be useful even in non-pathologic states comes with the territory of being a psychiatrist/psychotherapist.)

Reactions: 1 users