DIY Course Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndrewSG

Reaction score
This is a follow up to a previous thread I made. Specifically, I'd like to know what course order I should take things in and this is semi-urgent. I did not realize a local school is starting their spring quarter...pretty much Monday. Most of you would think post-bacc. That isn't possible. I recognize that this is such a long shot that I must retain my current career until its clear I'm taking the next steps. I'm wishful, not stupid. I also see an opportunity in online courses while they are still acceptable, they would allow me to get back into the swing more slowly. Another reason I feel pressured to act immediately.

Short version. I was a trainwreck of an undergrad who grew up, has a great 14 year career in analytical chemistry, and got a 4.0 on an MBA years after undergrad. I am 38. I had very extenuating circumstances I hope I can explain away.

My overall plan is to begin applying immediately. Slow at first, and ramp up as I become a better applicant. You have all talked me out of this one-school game.

What are overall thoughts on using two local schools to increase chances of getting the classes I need while competing with matriculated students for seats? My choices are:
Sacramento State - about 1/3 less cost per credit. Down the block from my office. Easy for in person classes if they ever resume. Probably easier for a higher grade.
UC Davis - Prestige level equal to my old undergrad. Runs in quarters so quicker to take courses. About 30 minutes from work, unpredictable traffic if covid ever ends.

What order would you take? I'll obviously have to adjust to compensate for availability. Psyc is an obvious first choice, but that seems too easy.

Would you take one course in each subject area to prove general competency, or would you go with a 1-2 approach?

Orgo is interesting in the way that I think I should retake 2, but would really need to re-take 1 to be successful, but retaking an A is extremely risky, especially in a soul crushing class like orgo.

What about courses like anatomy that I never took?

Given my career in the lab, would you skip labs when possible to save time and money?

My sciences currently look like this:
Biol - C+ B+
Chem - C+ (advanced combo course)
Orgo - A C- Lab, B
Psych - D
Phys - C+C+
Bchm - C- , Lab, C

Other courses
Molecular Genetics - A-, Lab B
Macro Evolution - B
Biophysical Chem - C-
Analytical Chem - C+
Biosensors and Bioelectronics (chem) - A-
Senior Seminar in Biochem - A-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to first find out which medical schools to which you'll be applying and whether or not they accept coursework that is X years old. I really haven't found a black and white answer on this (my advisors mentioned something like 7 years I think) but I have also heard horror stories of having to retake everything. I'd get the answers to these before you enroll. And you can't skip labs for the core prereqs. You'll need Bio 1/2 with labs, Chem 1/2 with labs, Orgo 1/2 with at least 1 lab, Physics 1/2 with labs, and suggested Biochemistry, maybe Calculus. I was able to skip the lab for one of my electives but that's about it. You really don't need any electives if you take the core coursework. Psych yes because of the D. Also, it doesn't matter where you go to school as long as you get the GPA you need for application time. Go to where it's cheaper, more convenient, and preferably a University for upper levels. Prestige only means anything to other people for whom prestige means anything, and nobody likes these people. Good luck!