DIY Post Bacc Advice - VA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmileyBaaj

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am a senior at George Mason University and am finishing my degree in Global and Community Health. I have not taken all of my pre-reqs for medical school. My undergrad gpa is not competitive and I completely admit I was immature and confused as an undergrad student. I feel like my chances at a DO school would be higher than an MD school. I have been in communication with VCOM and VTCSOM in particular, as I love the environment at both schools. They both have stated that they do recognize work students do in post-bacc programs and that they would consider a student's DIY post bacc. VTCSOM responded that they would want to understand the way the DIY post-bacc was structured and how it would help me be a better physician. I am currently studying for the MCAT, but do not intend to take it until Spring next year. One of the main reasons I am looking into a DIY post bacc is because of money. I understand that medical school is inevitably expensive, but I want to minimize the amount of loans I take out and the burden on family.

A little about me, I am a volunteer EMT-B for two years now and currently still run. I am the Treasurer for my local volunteer fire department, and just got nominated to retain my position next year. I will be starting as a part time scribe soon and will be linked with an Emergency Medicine physician in the ED. I have other extracurriculars as well, but in effort to keep this post small I will stop there.

My question is does anyone have any advice on how to formulate/construct a strong DIY post bacc? If there is anyone who has been admitted into a DO/MD school that did a DIY post-bacc, I have a few questions. (My apologies if any of the questions are inappropriate, please feel free to answer questions that you are comfortable sharing.)
  • What school(s) did you do your DIY post bacc at? (state university, private university, CC, etc)
  • What medical school(s), to your knowledge, were ok with DIY post baccs?
  • Was there a specific program that you modeled your DIY by?
  • Does anyone know students that went to Virginia medical schools that completed a DIY post bacc? If so, what medical school did they get accepted to?
Thank you in advance for any guidance on this topic! If you don't feel like sharing your answers on this thread, please feel free to pm me. I welcome any and all advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user