DIY Post Bacc/Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Music_To_Medicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had posted a long time ago regarding my path to med school, but I am making a new thread since I have actually begun and life has changed the details. My question is will I have a shot at the end of all this. Due to time and money I am taking classes part-time at a major Community College.

Here my stats and plan:
URM - First Generation Black Male
cGPA: 2.9, 164 credits
sGPA: 4.0 (Elementary Chem 1,Intro A&P,Quantitative Reasoning,College Algebra)

Clinical Hours
~1000 hours as a Medical Assistant at an outpatient substance abuse clinic
I work 40 hours a week as a Patient Care Tech (blood draws, specimen handling, waived testing, precept phleb interns). ~480 hours currently.

Volunteer
4 hours a week as a CDCA 1. I do individual and group sessions for people dealing with substance abuse.
150 hours from undergrad 2012-2017 (will that even count???)

Shadowing
None yet

Fall 2019
Gen Chem 1 w/ Lab - 5cr
Bio 1 w/ Lab -4cr

Spring 2020
Gen Chem 2 w/ Lab -5cr
Bio 2 w/ Lab -4cr

Summer 2020
Physics 1 w/lab - 5cr
CDCA II - 2cr

Fall 2020
O Chem 1 w/ lab -8cr

Spring 2021
O Chem 2 w/lab - 8cr

Summer 2021
Biochem - 4cr
Pharmacology - 2cr

Fall 2021
Physics 2 w/lab - 5cr
Elective

Members don't see this ad.

Will you have a shot? Of course no one can predict the future but I'd say yes. The key at this junction is to focus on doing well in your courses. Get good grades but pay attention to really learning the material, since there will be an MCAT at the end of the rainbow (following the requisite dedicated study for that). In the meantime, make sure you also log some shadowing hours; MD and DO to give you options. More volunteering at a local hospital, if possible, is also never a bad thing. One step at a time though and best of luck bro!

I think you do have a shot. The remaining classes you have ace those bad boys and do well on the MCAT. Throw in a few higher level science courses after you have completed the pre-reqs. You should be good to go.