DIY Post-Bacc Finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astharia

OB1gynobi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I am finishing my MSBS and am currently writing my thesis through the spring/summer. I intend to take classes in the spring at my undergrad institution to help raise my sGPA. I'll be considered a non-degree seeking graduate student there. I'm assuming I'm not allowed to "double dip" FAFSA so I was wondering how everyone paid for their DIY Post-Bacc or supplemental classes. If anyone has any experience being full time at two different institutions, I'd appreciate some advice on how to pay for the tuition at my second program.
Thanks!
Sorry if this is confusing btw, tried to keep it simple.

Members don't see this ad.

So I see on your signature that you've applied this cycle already. Is there a specific pre-requisite you haven't taken yet that you're trying to take during the spring? Are you planning on this in the event you don't get in and you have to be a re-applicant? Are you planning on re-doing all of your pre-requisites in your DIY-Post-Bac? Taking a couple classes in one semester won't boost your GPA that much, and admissions committees won't really be looking at your spring GPA that much so I'm just confused why you're trying to do this when the cycle hasn't finished for this year. If you did well in your MSBS that can be part of your upward trend to show medical schools you have a handle on difficult science topics.

Also, I'm not incredibly familiar with FAFSA for non-degree seeking students since I didn't have to use it, but my understanding was that you can't really use FAFSA for courses you are taking that is non-degree. I know that FAFSA pays for some SMP, but the rules are murky when you are doing a non-structured one. When I did my DIY Post-Bac, I was working full-time at a university and part of my employee benefit were free classes. Your undergrad institution might have a similar policy.

So I see on your signature that you've applied this cycle already. Is there a specific pre-requisite you haven't taken yet that you're trying to take during the spring? Are you planning on this in the event you don't get in and you have to be a re-applicant? Are you planning on re-doing all of your pre-requisites in your DIY-Post-Bac? Taking a couple classes in one semester won't boost your GPA that much, and admissions committees won't really be looking at your spring GPA that much so I'm just confused why you're trying to do this when the cycle hasn't finished for this year. If you did well in your MSBS that can be part of your upward trend to show medical schools you have a handle on difficult science topics.

Also, I'm not incredibly familiar with FAFSA for non-degree seeking students since I didn't have to use it, but my understanding was that you can't really use FAFSA for courses you are taking that is non-degree. I know that FAFSA pays for some SMP, but the rules are murky when you are doing a non-structured one. When I did my DIY Post-Bac, I was working full-time at a university and part of my employee benefit were free classes. Your undergrad institution might have a similar policy.

Yes, I applied, but I don't think I'll get in. My best shot was my MSBS school. I got interviewed and rejected there, but they are being incredibly supportive and told me what they'd like to see me do (interview was good). On that list is taking science classes to get above a certain sGPA, of which I'm pretty close to. My applications only have my first semester or two on my app of my MSBS, and my GPA will also go up quite a bit next year if I have to reapply after taking into account my whole MSBS GPA, (straight As since last fall).

How many more classes do you need to take? I would think once you’ve done a masters in a hard science, there really isn’t many other upper level sciences classes left to take.

Was this a SMP? Usually schools do linkage with those.

As far as tuition, it’s hard because a bacholars only allows you to get so much government loan help. Grad schools usually all the costs covered with grad plus loans. Have you thought about doing SMP with auto acceptance? That way you could be all covered.

Reactions: 1 user