DIY Post Bacc/ Gap Year plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retrofusion720

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a 28 years old nontraditional student pursuing a career in medicine. I have a complex academic history and I will try my best to explain this. I was a college dropout, dropping out of community college at 22 years old. I was a premed student initially pursing medicine. However, I was not matured, focused, and engaged to my education as I was more focus on having fun and pursing other hobbies that was detriment to my time to study. During my 4 years there, I took most of the medical school prerequisites such as general biology, general chemistry, general physics, math, genetics, and organic chemistry. However, I either got C's or fail and then get a C's retaking second time for all of those classes. My GPA was a complete failure with 1.8 cGPA and 1.6 sGPA. I eventually drop out to work on my maturity and refocusing my life.

During the time when I was trying to get my life together, I have a sudden, life altering experience that change my mindset and perspective completely. I will not share the stories with you here as it was very complicated and it put me depress and suicidal for two years. During my road to recovery, I took the time to volunteer at a local hospital and hospices assisting nurses and interacting with patients. I met many wonderful people there within and outside of hospitals and from that point, I realized my passions for helping others and interests in medicine. I got my act together and decide to go for it again. I took another year in community college doing just enough to transfer to an university to pursue a Bachelors.

Now in the present, I just complete a Bachelor in Science for Chemistry. I did okay getting obtaining 3.1 cGPA with a 3.2 sGPA (only took upper division chemistry). My overall GPA turned out to be a 2.5 cGPA with a 2.4 sGPA. This overall GPA was with 7 years full time courses and I have accumulated too many units.

Now lies a big problem for my end. I know I will not be able to get over 3.0 GPA anytime soon. From my GPA, I would have to get 4+ years straight A's to get close to that minimum GPA. So I know I will not be able to recover from my GPA perspective, but I was hoping the other parts of the application will help me out. I have a 3 years plan hoping to get into medical school someday.

I was planning to retake all my prerequisite that I got a C's at a local university and get at least A's. This means retaking both general biology classes, genetics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics which is 11 classes there. In addition, I would take biochemistry and upper biology courses which consist additional 6-8 courses. By planning out my schedule, that would take additional 2 years if I go back to school full time. On top of it , I would have work full time and if this is pushing it, maybe get into research.
Also, on the second year, I would study for MCAT and need to kill it hoping to get into a SMP program or maybe a medical school that reward intervention.

Granted, this may take 3 additional years to complete it, but I am willing to do any necessary tasks to get into this dream career. I was wondering with what I have laid out be a feasible plans. Also, what other tweaks or improvements should I make? How important is research? Also, have anyone experiences something similar like this before? Lastly, any advice would help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Retaking classes won't help you unless you received a D or F in them. Do not retake any courses you received a C in.

That said, with your degree being in the sciences and having a lot of science coursework already, your dreams of being a physician may not be entirely probable. Your GPA is very low, and as you mentioned, getting to 3.0 will take 4+ years of full-time work with earning all A's. This is a mighty (not impossible) feat, and while your scores have improved as of late, you have yet to demonstrate solid 4.0 coursework which puts a dent in your plan.

I'm not one to ever recommend throwing in the towel, but now may be a good time to reevaluate your career goals and the risk/reward of continuing down the path given how grim the outlook is. Are you interested in other areas of healthcare besides medicine (MD/DO)? If so, it may behoove you to take a serious look at them as you consider the best path to proceed.

Best of luck to you.

Retaking classes won't help you unless you received a D or F in them. Do not retake any courses you received a C in.

That said, with your degree being in the sciences and having a lot of science coursework already, your dreams of being a physician may not be entirely probable. Your GPA is very low, and as you mentioned, getting to 3.0 will take 4+ years of full-time work with earning all A's. This is a mighty (not impossible) feat, and while your scores have improved as of late, you have yet to demonstrate solid 4.0 coursework which puts a dent in your plan.

I'm not one to ever recommend throwing in the towel, but now may be a good time to reevaluate your career goals and the risk/reward of continuing down the path given how grim the outlook is. Are you interested in other areas of healthcare besides medicine (MD/DO)? If so, it may behoove you to take a serious look at them as you consider the best path to proceed.

Best of luck to you.

Yes, I have look at other path if medicine doesn't work out for me, but at least I want to give this one last shot.I just want to know, despite the grim outlook, what do I need to do establish that I am the medical student that they wanted?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take upper level sciences classes at an undergrad institute to help improve your overall/science GPAs, but given that your degree is in the sciences, it may take an extraordinarily long time to get your GPA in the position it needs to be (e.g. above 3.0). You can consider an SMP, as well, and know that doing anything less than 3.75-4.0 won't help you. Outside of academics and accepting the fact that this reinvention process is a multi-year commitment, devote time to your community, clinical setting, research, etc. to strengthen your application. With an improved GPA, you will then need to score extremely well on the MCAT to further compensate for your prior academic performance.

Reactions: 1 user
You can take upper level sciences classes at an undergrad institute to help improve your overall/science GPAs, but given that your degree is in the sciences, it may take an extraordinarily long time to get your GPA in the position it needs to be (e.g. above 3.0). You can consider an SMP, as well, and know that doing anything less than 3.75-4.0 won't help you. Outside of academics and accepting the fact that this reinvention process is a multi-year commitment, devote time to your community, clinical setting, research, etc. to strengthen your application. With an improved GPA, you will then need to score extremely well on the MCAT to further compensate for your prior academic performance.

Thank you. So you would not recommend me to retake over the classes I have C or lower? The last time I took this general science classes were about 5-10 years ago. Also, regarding to community, clinical setting, and research, do you think I need to have all of that or could I devote more time in one area such as community or research?

Absolutely retake courses where you scored <C.

You’ll want to devote time to clinical and non-clinical settings before research. If you’re able to devote time to all three, even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely retake courses where you scored <C.

You’ll want to devote time to clinical and non-clinical settings before research. If you’re able to devote time to all three, even better.

One last questions, how can I find research after graduating from undergrads? Should I consider do a master in a science that focus on research? Or should I look into pharmaceutical, hospital, or other university company for that?

It depends on what sort of research you’re interested in, research available at your school, which geo you’re in, etc.

Are you at a tier one research school?

Are near a medical school or large metro area with teaching hospitals?

It depends on what sort of research you’re interested in, research available at your school, which geo you’re in, etc.

Are you at a tier one research school?

Are near a medical school or large metro area with teaching hospitals?

Well the college I did undergrad is a research school, but I move back to my hometown which is 100 miles away. I do live near a medical school and a teaching hospital and I'm interested in either cancer and/or pathology research, but I am open for others. What could I do to get those research opportunities?