DIY Post Bacc- How many hours should I consider taking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnessa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DIY Post Bacc- How many hours should I consider taking?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on your GPA and how much you need to raise it. But I think Goro generally suggests 30-50 upper level biology classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a cGPA under 3.0. But I heard that post bacc GPA is a separate GPA. So as long as you as you have a good GPA (3.8-4.0) you still have a chance.

I am just really worried about getting screened out with my undergrad gpa being less than 3.0.

Some other info, it seems like I will have to take at least 10 classes to get a 3.0. I used the Maapd website to plan this out.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Thank you for answering my post.

Seems like ~30 is a good amount for people on average but depends on how much you need to improve your gpa, potentially may need more to get past a screening cut off. Some schools specify a minimum of 24 in order to consider post-graduate gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a cGPA under 3.0. But I heard that post bacc GPA is a separate GPA. So as long as you as you have a good GPA (3.8-4.0) you still have a chance.

I am just really worried about getting screened out with my undergrad gpa being less than 3.0.

Some other info, it seems like I will have to take at least 10 classes to get a 3.0. I used the Maapd website to plan this out.

MSAR is a super helpful tool for this. Some schools have a minimum GPA for post bacc work to be considered. Whereas George Washington and Utah say they don’t consider post bacc work. This is curious because I usually see GWU on school lists for reinventors. So it’s always good to double check with the school.

I would also check MSAR for if the schools accept online classes. Some schools do and don’t post Covid.

You definitely still have a chance with a sub 3.0! The post bacc will increase your cGPA and you sGPA. There’s been a lot of success stories of students overcoming their lower stat applications.

You will get screened out with a cGPA < 3.0
Read this: